maybe i should start spanking him again...?

i used to spank my son a lot, and it really worked, but i wanted to try other methods of punishment because i feel guilty every time i spank him. but now it seems like he's getting worse! he hit his grandma the other day and threw toys at his cousin. and he gets soooo wild sometimes i can't even control him. im thinking maybe i should start spanking him again, unless you ladies have any better suggestions???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• honestly, i dont see anything wrong with spanking, because to me spanking and getting a beating is two different things. spanking is not going to break a child. i think spanking is the best method along with time=out. and explain to him he will have his toys taken away for the rest of the day. and his most favorite toys too. and no desert if he likes sweets. and dont give in, keep up with what u tell him be consistant
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 1:47 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Have you tried time-outs? via Supernanny?
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:48 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• no no no to spanking! Studies show it causes problems with aggressiveness, fighting, low self esteem and sexual problems. I and my husband were both spanked and let me tell you it DID cause some major problems, some of which I still deal with. Try time outs and do it the right way. A min for each year of age, make the kid face the wall in a chair. Don't talk to them in timeout. If they get out start the clock again and don't talk to them. Make sure there are no distractions around like a tv or dog. After timeout say again to the kid what they did wrong. Make him/her say they are sorry. Also you can take away toys and other privlages. THink of it this way too, are you going to be able to spank when your child is 16? No. Its abuse of power because you're bigger than he/she. Its scary and intimadating for the child. It's not a teaching lesson. It sends a message of Mommy has had it with you so I'm going to phsically hurt you.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:52 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• One more thing. You should PRAISE your child whn he does something good. Even if its something small like remembering to wash his hands. This really works! The child starts trying to outdo himself with good actions. Make sure your child knows how much you love him/her and gets enough attention.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:55 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Oh please is just spanking not beating the crap out of him...I agree w praise your child but sometimes they do get really bad n disrespectful..I dnt think yelling works if u do it constantly..spank him every now and then..
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 2:03 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Personally, I'd find an alternative to spanking. My son is 3 and we've never hit him. We use various forms of timeouts (i.e. sitting on the steps, going to his room) as well as taking things aways (throwing anything results in him losing it). He's generally a well behaved kid despite being very energetic. The problem I have with spanking is that it teachs the child it's ok to hit if you're angry. The biggest thing is to be very consistent your actions and clear on cause and effect (if you throw a toy, you will lose it until whenever). I also agree it helps to praise good behavior just don't get too crazy about it.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Wild as in running around and flailing his arms?? Sounds like it's time for the close, tight hug with gentle but stern correction for his behavior. Tell him he needs to tell his arms and legs to behave and things like that.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:59 PM on Aug. 25, 2010