What were you doing at the age of 17?

Were you a virgin ( and when I say that I mean you never had ANY type of sexual contact with someone)? Did you do everything your parents told you to do? At what age should you allow your daughter to make her own decisions and her own mistakes????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• 17: I was in college, pregnant with my son, and living with my fiance
    Did I do what my parents told me? Yes I got the hell out the house as soon as I could afford to, by their request, so since 16 I was on my own. I also was in and out of the house since 14 due to some ass hole my mom was with.

Making own decision? I think if they are working they control what they buy, if they are dating age they control that, for the most part, If they live under your roof? You set house rules and guidelines. And Be there for when their decisons don't go as planned, make suggestions more than make the decision for them.

I had to find out everythng the hard way but have grown a lot from it, maybe too much
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:05 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I was married, had a daughter and was a senior in high school. My oldest daughter is almost 16 and thankfully she's not headed down the same path I did.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:52 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I lost my virginity at 13. At seventeen I had been livin with my SO for two years. I was practically an adult at 15. I had really bad parents.
    pinkebabii

Answer by pinkebabii at 1:51 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I was working fulltime and graduating from high school, saving money up to pay for college. At that point in my life my parents trusted me to make good choices, i respected that I lived in their home and followed their rules but i was given free reign to come and go as i please as long as i gave them an idea of when i would be home and normally i told them where i would be.

As long as my daughter or my sons respect my rules, are showing that they can make good choices, and stay out of trouble then I have no probelm letting them have freedom to leran and experience life at 16. Every child is different I was ready to so the things i did at 17 my sister wasnt so her rules were tighter than mine.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:51 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• At the age of 17 i lost my virginity, to my now husband. and i believe 17 is a fair age to lose your virginity if you arent hoping from boy to boy. im not judging in any type of way just my opinion... and i wasnt a partier i was the type to do my school work and try my best to keep my grades up. i always struggled in school but i tried my best.. i was in a long time relationship with my now husband we were dating them. and it was a good age for me, i spent alot of time with my family. which now i appreciate and im only 20. But the age 17 is the age to start letting go a bit. More phone privelages, if they are stll living at home, still need to do chores and help keep up with daily household chores esp helping parents out. but when it comes to weekends i belive curfew should be 12:30 at the latest. i believe if they dont act up the more freedom they should have :)
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 1:53 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I was not a virgin at 17. And I did not have just 1 boyfriend. I'm not saying I was a slut, but I had a good time. But I was very mature for my age and I always used protection (even when having oral sex) and I went to my OB once every quarter for testing and just to get a check up. I was also on birth control. I was also raised to be very independent and responsible. At 17, I was an honor roll student in HS and had a full time job. I paid for my own car payment, car insurance, and paid off my credit card every month. I cleaned my parents house, cooked for them (they own their own business and was always very busy), did my own laundry, and even baby sat my young cousins. I was very mature. And when I dated around, I knew what I was doing. Oh and I did not do drugs or drink. I was really just living my life and having fun. I was comfortable with my body and my sexuality.
    txteamthompson

Answer by txteamthompson at 1:54 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I was one of the popular kids in school so I had a lot of friends and I could have easily given in peer pressure but I didn't. I was a virgin until the age of 19 but that was my own choice.
    My mom and I had the "sex talk" when I was 14. My parents were not that strict and I knew they wouldn't freak out if I told them I was having sex in high school, but I just didn't think I'm ready.
    My parents knew that if they didn't put a lot of pressure on me I would be happy and they were right.

My parents never told me to go to my room and study, I did it because I wanted to do it and I was an A student.
    They never told me not to have sex, but I was mature enough to realise I was NOT mature enough to have sex.

I was not an extraordinary teenager, but my parents were extraordinary. I had an actual childhood and I love them for that because most kids start thinking about sex at 12-13 and I think that's just a shame.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 1:55 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• *cont

I would like to do the same with my daughter- teach her right from wrong when she's little and let her decide for herself when she's a teen. Of course, I will always be there for guidance, but I will not boss her around and tell her what to do with her own life and relationships (unless of course she's in danger)
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 1:57 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I lost is at 14 ..parents where strict but I had ODD..so I didn't care..I made lots of mistakes when it came about guys..I lied soo much parents tough I was a great girl..but I did good at school ..I graduated at 17 had an awesome job at an elementary school and went 2 college :]

My daughter can make decisions of her own when she becomes independent and has a job
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 1:59 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• When I was 17 I was with my 2nd boyfriend and I wasn't a vigrin but had only slept with the 2 boyfriends I'd had. I was a Senior in high school, had a job and had a car. I didn't have a curfew, my parents cared but they werent hard on me and told me NOT to do things bc my mom knew if she told me not to do something I wouldnt do it just bc she said not to, so I never done anything to get in trouble. I didnt party but a few weekends that year I went to a couple of parties and my mom was ok with it as long as she knew where I was at and would answer my phone and wouldnt drive or ride with anyone drinking. I'll be the same way with my daughters when they get bigger. I'm going to teach them right from wrong, but Im not going to shelter then and be strict.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 2:00 AM on Aug. 24, 2010