my son tries to be like me.. by telling ME what to do..

my son is constantly telling me to do things for him, well more like bossing me around. so i tell him "don't tell me what to do cameron, ask me nicely" but apparently he only comprehended the mean part of that statement so now he tells everyone "Don't tell me what to do!!!" and it's turning him into a monster!! what should i do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 4 year old daughter does the same thing. She tries to act just like me and when I get onto her for something I always say it the same way and she's has started doing it too just like your son is. So you're not the only one.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 1:53 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Ignore his requests when he's talking like that. He's doing it for attention.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:58 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I dont have any advice, but you sure are not alone, my 4 1/2 year old is acting the same way! It is very irritating, and i hope this phase passes quickly! And thankfully she only does it at home!
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 2:04 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My 5 yr tells me he is the boss and the man of the house, I just have to laugh when he gets like that, I don't take it seriously
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 10:22 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I agree with a previous poster, he is doing it for attention. When he tells you to do something, ignore him and do the complete opposite of it.
    victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 10:58 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• ignore it! it may be hard at first, but believe me, he'll get it.
    Mom2Giovanna

Answer by Mom2Giovanna at 1:18 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Ok, your son sees you as a "peer" not an "authority" figure. Set up rules and consequences for when he speaks to you like that...for example, the first time do does it time out, the second, no treat, the third, early bed time or no fun activity for the evening. He might see others talking to you like that or other kids talking to their parents like that. You should let him know you are not going to allow that behavior. Good Luck, I know what a tough road that is.
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 9:42 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Mine tried that. I made it clear that I am the mommy and only I get to tell people what to do. I even get to tell daddy what to do.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2010