What kinds of things do you do to save $?

What kind of unique things do you do to save money?

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 2:42 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• pick up all the change my bf leaves laying around..
    Patientchild3

Answer by Patientchild3 at 2:46 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• i dont
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 2:52 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I clean out my purse and wallet of all loose change and put it in a gallon jug every week.
    HisLove18

Answer by HisLove18 at 3:10 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I use coupons, buy only sale items(usually clearance),check out the stores sale ads, always use a promo code when online shopping & buy used items when possible.
    sarchasmic_1

Answer by sarchasmic_1 at 3:41 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I unplug microwave..n chargers n laptops
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 3:46 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I switched to 'all-natural'. I saved money by cooking more of our own food and using fewer health & beauty products.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 5:58 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:18 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:19 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelets with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie (you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.
    Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons; eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry). Most important, buy only what is on your list. The specials at the store are not to save you money; they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, easy, healthy, family and budget friend

• We save money the moment we get paid that way we don't blow it.
    We also turn off lights, plug into power strips, air dry, things like that.

And we've stopped showering or bathing. Saves us $10 a month.
    No just kidding. We're not that intense :)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:16 AM on Aug. 24, 2010