For those of you married 25 years or more ...

what would you say are the secrets to your longevity? I'd have to say realizing that there are ebbs and flows to any relationship and that you just need to weather out the difficult times, respecting eachother (I almost think this is more important than love in later years), and separate bathrooms!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• 21 years here. I think the people who have been together for over 20 years understand that that NEW LOVE feeling goes away after the first 5 years. and it turns into a different type of love. And understanding that your not always going to like youe spouse. Sometimes you will just want to kill him. But you talk to each other and get ovet it. It is getting to the point I want sepeate bathrooms and seperate bedrooms

Answer by louise2 at 5:53 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• 22 years here.   Love (and sex), trust, respect and communication are all important in a relationship but I think the secret to our longevity is a sense of humour.  My dh and I both have a very sarcastic wit and where most couples would end up arguing over something trivial, we end up cracking each other up with our sarcasm.

Why are separate bathrooms important?   It sounds like you might have intimacy issues and that is never a good thing in a marriage.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:23 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• 29 years here........being tolerant of each others needs. Giving some space to do what you want to do, like I love coming in here for a couple hours a day.........just being there for each other. The main thing is really to be able to trust and respect each other. Another important this is don't lose yourself by being all "they" want you to be...........be yourself.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 8:11 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Only 4 years here, but dh and I will never get a divorce. It is such a relief to know that. We are faithful to each other and we discuss everything. The biggest secret for us is that our relationship was always Christ centered. (No sex or living together before we were married). God has blessed us with a wonderful marriage. Another secret is knowing that love is a choice. After the new love feeling wears off, it is your choice to continue loving the person.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 9:04 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• we have been together 15 years...... just find alone time and enjoy your time together...... Sometimes I get pissed off and just walk away till I feel better then we discuss the problem. Never fight when you are real mad cause then the names start flying.... Thank god that my husband does not like to argue!!!!
    juju0707

Answer by juju0707 at 10:15 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• 30 years and counting.... It has to do with respect. compromising, communication, laughter, friendship and love
    debnich501960

Answer by debnich501960 at 1:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2010