What could cause a 6 year old heart pain?

My daughter is 6 and recently has complained that her "heart hurts". When I checked her pulse she had an irregular hear beat, it was skipping beats. She has had an EKG and xrays and it all came back fine but she still complains that her heart hurts from time to time although when I check, her pulse is normal. I plan on taking her back to the dr to see what else can be done. Does anyone else have a similar story or have any idea what could be causing this? Any info would be helpful, thanks.

belindi79

Asked by belindi79 at 5:20 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Health

• My daughter has WPWS, its an extra electrical pathway in the heart which makes her beat double. They found it during one of her surgeries, she never had an episode or anything but we still have to watch her when shes playing to make sure she doesn't need to take a break, WPWS can cause cardiac arrest, she hasn't had any episodes thank goodness, but I'd def take your 6 year old back to the doctor and let him know, they're obviously something wrong if she keeps complaining about pain.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 5:29 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Even though I am 49. I have been having raped heart beats. My heart/pulse racing. The doctors never caught it for like 4 years One day I went to a regular doctors apointment and I was having a epesode of the fast heat beat. They too my BP & pules, my pulse was 165 a min. They finally believed me. If they do not find anything they will not believe you.

Answer by louise2 at 5:40 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• spicy food? Maybe its just heartburn?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:56 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Thanks for the info we will defintely be taking her back to the dr's to find out whats going on. Its hard considering the irregular heartbeat doesnt happen all the time. As far as heartburn, that has crossed my mind as well as indigestion, we'll bring it up to the dr, thanks for the suggestion.
    belindi79

Comment by belindi79 (original poster) at 6:05 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Keep checking, it does not hurt to be thorough, especially with a child. I kept having heart pain. After a visit to my doctor who did an EKG and said that everything was fine, she thought I was being silly and even wanted to write a prescription for an anti depressant. So I did ignore some symptoms, trying to rule out if it was in my head. When I had some pretty bad pains and was genuinely frightened I went to the ER. Again I felt dumb when the tests came back that it was not a heart attack, but they treated me very well and the doctor came back in and explained that just because it was not a heart attack, does not mean that nothing is wrong, there could be a number of problems that would not show on EKG and xray. Turned out with a different doctor and 24 hr holter monitor, and found the two arythmia's causing the pain, I now take Beta blockers, but really just knowing helps because the fear is gone.
    kerryket

Answer by kerryket at 7:24 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• have her tested for common blood clotting disorders. i've had heart pain and irregular heartbeats and have factor v leiden. if this is the problem the treatment is simple. and you'll know not to put her on hormonal birth control later.
    LunaB

Answer by LunaB at 8:25 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Yes, I believe the next step would be wearing a heart monitor if the pain doesnt go away. And thanks for suggesting the blood clots, come to think of it I dont think they did any blood work....
    belindi79

Comment by belindi79 (original poster) at 2:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My 6 yo son has been complaining about his heart hurting at school . He has been doing the monkey bars almost daily so my initial guess is muscular strain from all the new upper body use
    Tcesta01

Answer by Tcesta01 at 3:48 AM on Sep. 19, 2015