Why do you think customer service is lacking in America today?

I figured I'd get some opinions because I have come across people in customer services positions who truly need to go to a class and learn how to treat others with respect and kindness. True we all have bad days, yet we should also no better then to take them out on a customer. And yes, the same goes for the customer!

sarchasmic_1

Asked by sarchasmic_1 at 6:12 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I worked in customer service at a store. I was taught to smile, even if it hurt. I was also taught that unless you were working with another customer, or talking to a customer on the phone, NEVER make the customer wait and always treat them like they are the most important thing you need to take care of at that moment. I have encountered sour faced customer service workers who acted like they could not believe I was interrupting their conversation with a co worker.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:23 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I kinda think it's partly because of corporate America. If you go to a smaller owned company their customer service is usually impeccable.

For one thing the owner is typically near by- so you screw up on customer service, and they fire your butt. After all this is their company that they built from scratch. Also that's one of the few things they have going for them. Smaller companies can't compete with economies of scales- so their prices may not be competitive, but offering competent customer service can win over customers.

Us personally, we shop at a local grocery store that was designed for customers. Tons of space between isles, open 24 hours a day- and a team of employees that go above and beyond to help you out. Example: Jumping the service counter in order to get your photos from the lab 5 hours before the photo lab opened. Any other store would have just told us they couldn't do anything until the lab opened.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:31 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• If it's only to compare the service which you expect to get and getting on level rather than try to push buttons, I'd think and know what the customer were up to. Some people are just out to pick on customer service than just be human to them on a kind, patient nice one person to another , common sense , non- judgmental manner.
    In A STORE a person on either side of the counter are both people with feelings, does this answer more of why it's not good to assume they are all stoic and perfectly trained ?
    WE are all subject to having off days, and maybe not feel so set to take on the entire world's attitudes.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 7:52 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I do think that customer service is lacking just about everywhere. I have found a few places that give excellent customer service, and I'll shop/do business there even if it's a little out of my way or more expensive. We have all become lazy; fast food, cheap prices - we don't demand customer service as consumers. When's the last time you complained about bad customer service, or stopped going somewhere convenient/inexpensive because of it? I know I've been guilty of tolerating it because it was just easier. I'm making a sincere effort to complain when I should, and to tell managers when their employees have done a great job. I don't know what effect it will really have, but I feel like I'm at least trying.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:44 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• In some areas yes!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:49 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I've been in customer service for 11 years in a casino and I try my best to treat the customers with respect. It's hard sometimes when you work in a casino but I sure give my best. After all, I've complained about a restaurant's customer service after my family and I were treated badly. We were at a restaurant my husband loves and he was treated quite badly. I told him to complain and trust me he did and didn't hold back. I'd expect someone to complain about me if I wasn't up to par.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 5:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I have worked in retail stores, restaurants and various other businesses since the age of 15. Customer service is a job well-suited to people who know how to be friendly, respectful & kind. You need to have the ability to handle people who are irate, unreasonable, rude,etc. Being able to stay calm and keep a smile on your face makes all the difference. When I was managing a shoe store at the age of 18, the owner told me that the customer is always right, even when they are wrong! ;) She said when a customer comes in with a complaint it was part of our job to turn that around and have them leave with a smile on their face. I liked that idea and only one time was I not able to accomplish it. However, that was a customer who had been starting trouble before she even entered our store & was hell bent on verbally attacking the salesgirls, myself and other customers. We called security and I told her I would be glad to give her
    sarchasmic_1

Comment by sarchasmic_1 (original poster) at 5:53 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• the owners name & number. She left before security came. I later found out she was in the other children's shoe store in the mall earlier and did the same thing. Sure, we all have bad days at work. That is a given. The thing is we shouldn't take it out on others. I love when someone tells me they are having an off day or "one of those days" because I understand & relate to that. I give them a smile and let them know I hope their day gets better, plain and simple. However, I have dealt with people who are just downright rude & that isn't acceptable. You can tell when someone enjoys their job or when someone thinks that it is an utter chore to actually have to help you and do their job.
    sarchasmic_1

Comment by sarchasmic_1 (original poster) at 6:02 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I am one of those people who actually fill out the comment cards in stores & restaurants. I will give lots of details and that includes when I've had a great experience or a horrible one. It will reflect in the tip I give as well. I worked as a server and busted my butt to give everyone the best service possible. Not just because of the tips either. Let's face it, you can bend over backwards & still only end up with a buck! LOL... I truly loved my job. I loved that I had regulars who would wait until I had an available table. I loved the people I worked with and even loved challenging people & situations that occurred. To me, it was fun. I looked forward to going to work & there is nothing better than loving your job, no matter what you do.
    sarchasmic_1

Comment by sarchasmic_1 (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2010