Plus size pregnancy now, so what can i do in this heat to help lose some weight or at least maintain it?

i was big before this pregnancy. alot helped me get this big, like 2 miscarriages and steroid shots in between, plus i quit smoking. i want to lose weight safely while pregnant. i signed up at gym so i can walk on a treadmill. just trying to see if what i want is safe to do, its not like my doc will answer my questions. any ideas?

ghugp

Asked by ghugp at 7:28 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I just found this on The Early Show:

(CBS) Drinking two glasses of water before each meal may help you lose weight, according to a new study presented Monday at the annual meeting of the American Chemical Society in Boston, Health.com reports.

Obese dieters who drank two 8-ounce glasses of water before breakfast, lunch and dinner lost five pounds more than dieters who didn't increase their water intake. Those who drank more water also kept more of the weight off after a year, said Brenda Davy, an associate professor at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg.

DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 7:48 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• The study included only middle-aged and older adults between the ages of 55 and 75 who were on diet - 1,200 calories per day for women and 1,500 calories per day for men. Half of the people were told to drink 16 ounces of water before every meal. After three months, the dieters who drank water had lost an average of about 15.5 pounds, while those who didn't lost just 11 pounds.

It's a popular anecdote that drinking more water will help you lose weight. Davy's study is the first randomized controlled trial to test the theory.

But Davy isn't sure why drinking water before meals helps with weight loss. But according to the Health.com report, a reason might be that it helps fill your stomach, making you less hungry.
    DesertRose75

• Make sure you are eating healthy foods! The baby gets the nutrients it needs first, so as long as you are eating healthy, you will probably be fine. I only gain about 5 pounds each pregnancy - so technically I am losing. Drink plenty of water! And the walking sounds like a great plan. Congratulations on your pregnancy.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:48 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/08/23/health/main6798331.shtml?tag=mncol;lst;1

It's something that I would most defidently give a try if I needed to loose weight.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 7:49 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Personally, during pregnancy the goal should not be to lose weight. Keep that thought at bay till after the baby is born. With that being stated I would like to say there is no better time to keep track of what you eat. DO NOT CUT CALORIES unless the amount of food you ate before pregnancy was extreme. I am not sure what exactly the daily amound during pregnancy is, but it is important to have a well balanced diet. It should include plenty of water, lean protein, non fat or low fat dairy and lots of fruits and veggies. You may be surprised at yourself in the end of the pregnancy. As far as excercise, if you did not do it before pregnancy it is important to start out slowly, ask your doctor what he suggest and then possible get a personal trainer to help you set goal and do excercises that are safe during pregnancy. Walking is one of the best ones, and there are a lot of things safe during pregnancy.
    ambernicole531

Answer by ambernicole531 at 7:57 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I was a plus size pregnancy as well, and the doctors kept me well monitored - I started at 240 and only went up to 268. You can do this. I agree about the walking - since it is so hot - find an air conditioned mall - many of them have walking programs where you can go in early before the shoppers and get some walking in if that fits your schedule. Also see if there is a water based class that you could do in the pool. Talk to your doctors - I actually lost weight during the first trimester because I was so sick. You can make it through!!!
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 7:59 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I agree about the diet and exercise comments as well. I started at 200 lbs. for two of my three pregnancies (for the middle one I was at 182 and gained 20 pounds). For the two times I was at 200 lbs. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and I gained less than 10 pounds total for each by the end and had healthy sized babies. My drs. monitored me very closely, I visited a dietitian at a hospital for advice, and I watched what I ate. I actually lost 20 pounds mid-way through the first one and they said it was from eating right. It's hard, but it can be done. The healthy baby at the end is a great motivator!

mjjn

Answer by mjjn at 9:34 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I had a friend who actually lost weight over the course of her pregnancy by following the gestational diabetes diet (through the whole pregnancy) and walking on the treadmill! that was all it took :)
    she's kept the weight off since the baby was born too
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:39 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• i ty all for your comments i went today to the gym. i decided to go with a 1st visit routine. a trainer sat down with me and explained the as if i had never been in a gym before. the trainer made me feel comfortable that was a plus. he started me out on very low upper body weight for my arms only, then i sat on a bicycle and did that for 15 min. i did ok, but definitely found out how out of shape i was. i will go back in a day or 2. i dont want to over do it. hopefully my doc wont yell at me. someone told me earlier today " i cant believe you are starting right in the middle of your preg" all i could say is better now than never and i am going slow.
    ghugp

Comment by ghugp (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2010