IUD Birth Control?

I want to get on an IUD, but not sure which to choose. The marina, or the copper one. I know that I am suppose to set up an appointment to get my annual done, but is it true you have to wait to get it put in when you are on your menstral cycle? Or can you just wait for your results on annual and then make an appointment for it and get it done? How much does it cost to get it done at local Health Department? Has anyone had to pay for it? How has it gone for you over all, I have heard some scary stories,lol.

Macs_Momma21

Asked by Macs_Momma21 at 5:05 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Health

• I had the Mirena and would highly recommend it. It lightens or stops your periods as opposed to the copper one which can make them heavier. I didn't have regular periods before so they just scheduled a date to put it in but the theory is is that your cervix is softer and slightly dialated during your period. I went to the health dept. in MI at first they said it would cost 300 dollars but then I got insurance that paid for the majority of it. It's a simple couple of minutes I would take some motrin before you go in because it can cause some cramping afterwards.
    bearcat84

Answer by bearcat84 at 11:04 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I had the Paragard IUD(the copper one) for 5 and 1/2 months. I bleed EVERYDAY for that 5 and 1/2 months. Not spotting but heavy first day of your period bleeding. I tried to have my doctor take it out but he would not. He said that I just had to give it time. So I went to another doctor and he said that he does not know how I put up with it for so long. He said that other doctor needs to be fired nobody should bleed the way I did. He took out the IUD and put a Nuvaring in me and I stopped bleeding that day. Good luck!
    ameliasmama1

Answer by ameliasmama1 at 1:40 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I have had my iud mirena for about 6 months and its been great. I didn't get my period this month like I normally would. I only bled for 2 days. I did not have to pay for it my Kaiser insurance covered the cost. It does feel uncomfortable when it is inserted, but it is sooo worth it. You should get the 5 year one. You bleed a whole lot more with the 10 year one.
    MCD3

Answer by MCD3 at 2:04 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I've had my copper IUD for 4 years...I love it! It regulated my periods, and I've never had a problem with it. Insertion was just mild cramps (take motrin 30 min. before insertion) and My doctor did it while I was on my period. I guess it's easier to insert, because the cervix is open some during your period. All I had to pay was a $20 copay since I had insurance. I chose the copper one, because I can't take any hormone bc. good luck!
    msmikkle

Answer by msmikkle at 2:50 PM on Oct. 9, 2008