First ever 10K

Should I run a 10K before the race just to see if I can do it? Or does that ruin some of the thrill?

Erica_Smerica

Asked by Erica_Smerica at 7:41 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Health

• What? just fo go for it! I ran 6 miles a day everyday and did 5ks. My first 10k was exciting, I never trained for it but I dived into it and finished it. I was walking the last 2 miles but it didnt matter to me. I guess it depends on your goal: If it's a competitive issue, then train and time yourself; if it's just for thrills, then jump!!
    song888

Answer by song888 at 4:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• First off I thought it was a money question. Then I say health.
    You should not must train for a 10K so you should know in advance that you can do it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:50 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I say the THRILL OF IT because by just entering it you are already a winner.  way to go

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:55 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• You really should train, work up to the 10k prior to the race. They're grueling, and a real test of endurance. Congratulations on entering!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:29 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Well it kind of depends on what your goals for the race are...Are you already a runner? Do you actually want to be competitive? Do you want to run the entire race without stopping? If so, then YES--train, practice, run many 10K's before the race. If it's just totally for fun and you don't mind if you end up walking parts of the race, then just go with the flow and don't worry about training too hard for it. Good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:22 AM on Aug. 24, 2010