Please momma tell me i am not going crazy!

So my hubby and I are just at a loss for what to do with our DD. She goes to bed at 7:30 she will stay up till 9-10 then finally goes to sleep after we have went down there 200 times. For this and that. We have tried not going down there but she just will not stop screaming until we do go down there. She also is up with sun at 5-6am. She listen to nothing we say NO is just not clicking in her head. Besides the fact that she is very head strong. I know this is beyond just terrible twos. This is my first child but not my hubby he has 2 other children that were not like this. I really feel like i am the worst momma in the world. I have been in tears all morning long. She is starting childcare in in a week in half. I am so scared that she is gonna get kicked out cause she just doesn't listen.
Please if your gonna bash me then just move on.I am looking for real help not to be told I am the worst momma in the world.

raemommy

Asked by raemommy at 7:42 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You are definitely not the worst mother in the world.
    First, remember children are all different.
    On the Nanny show she often has the parent sit in the room in the dark.
    When the child gets up, she does not say anything just put her back down.
    After doing this for a few days, it seems to work.
    Please give it a try. It does not sound like fun, but if the results give you a sleeping child, it will be worth it.
    Please let me know.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:48 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• That you tootoobusy very much. Sleep is just one of the problems that we are having with her. Disaplene is a hole another issue that we are having also. She just doesn't listen I feel like she runs that house not us. I will try this thank you so much again.
    raemommy

Comment by raemommy (original poster) at 7:51 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Relax, you're not a bad mom, you just need tweek some of your techniques in dealing w/ a strong-willed child. I always told myself that those qualities will serve my children well when they're older, but not when dealing w/ me! You need to watch how Super Nanny deals w/ the bedtime routine. (too long to describe here) Next, there should be age-approriate consequences whenever she disobeys. Stay firm & consistent & you should get results. If she is going to a reputable pre-school, then they will also enforce what I'm telling you. They can help you stay on track at home, since she will have rules to follow there. I know it's hard- been there done that. And it's not always easy-they can wear you down- hence your crying (+ to that being sleep deprived!) Just keep trying- you'll get there.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:55 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My kids were doing that. This is what I did: I bought black out curtains, a fan for white noise, and I adjusted their bedtime to 9 pm. They were going to bed at 7 pm, not falling asleep much before 9, and up at 5 am. It was awful. So DH and I decided to suck it up, and start putting them to bed later (mine are 3 and almost 5). After a few days of them going to bed at 9, they started waking up around 6. And the longer they go to sleep that late, the more they're sleeping. We've been doing this for about two weeks now, and they've been consistently waking up between 6:30 and 7 am. This morning, they didn't get up until 7:15. Good luck!
    rockinmomto2

Answer by rockinmomto2 at 8:00 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Your not a bad momma, but I think your sleep deprived. That has got to be very hard on you. I think you've got some good advice from these girls tho. You can do it by trial and error, but hope something works for you hon........

zbee

Answer by zbee at 8:04 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I would not put her to bed so early and instead use up some of her energy. Use that time to read stories, take a warm bath. She may not get up so early. She probably hears you still up and her curious 2 yr old stage wants to know whats going on. I do not think that any 2 yr old understands what No means. the fact though too that you go down there 200 times lets her know that you will be down there and she can stay up by crying. (I always gave in to crying too)
    Now the daycare will have an entire bunch of 2 yr old children and are experienced with them. They are usually very consistent. They know how to keep them very active and feed their curious minds. She will have lots to do and it may even help her sleep at night too. :) you are not a bad Mommy for worrying about your daughter. Kids can wear us out. It is good to get support from others..we ALL need it at one point.. Hang in there..it gets better :)
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 8:07 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Spanking works in situations like this. She is old enough to understand what you say to her. When you put her to bed, you tell her she doesn't have to go to sleep, but she has to lie quietly in bed. If she doesn't obey, you spank and lay her back down. You do this with other situations when she doesn't obey you. You tell her once and that if she doesn't obey, she will be spanked. Then you keep your word. God never intended for parents to be held hostage in their own homes by little children, and he gave us the prescription for dealing with these kinds of rebellious behavior. There is a very wonderful book entitled SHEPHERDING THE HEART OF A CHILD by Tedd Tripp. I highly recommend you read it and implement his suggestions. Your home will become a place of peace and calm instead of chaos and confusion. It will not happen overnight. Children have to be trained to behave properly, and it really is a hard assignment.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:10 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• You are in no way a bad mommy! All children are different and all will be good in some areas and naughty in others. Our first DD was such a little poop! She never listened, stubborn as any child I've ever seen, threw fits until she threw up and so on... She is now 17 and still pretty stubborn, still has selective hearing and will come to tears when she is frustrated. Our 2nd DD was our easy baby, she never liked getting in trouble and so she was a good listener and behaved really well. She is now 11 and still doesn't like getting in trouble and she is all about rules and structure. Our 3rd DD is now 4 and she shows signs of both her sisters' personalities... She is pretty stubborn, yet she doesn't like getting into trouble. Anyway, my point is, as you can see all kiddos are different, some will be super challenging and some will be easy going. Hang in there, it will get better, I promise:)

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:19 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Regarding other issues you could try withholding what is most dear to her as punishment. Every child has his/her "currency" - that item(s) which is most important to them. Tell her you will withhold it if she doesn't do such and such and then follow through. Stay calm and encoraging and help her with the task if need be. Be proactive and regain control. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:34 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• You are not a bad mom!! I say let her scream, it may take a few days but she will stop once she knows you will not respond to it. She is acting that way because she knows she will get a reaction out of you and as long as you keep giving her one she will keep doing it.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2010