If you've read this, what did you think?

What is the personal meaning of this set of scriptures to you...

James 5: 14,15, +16.

coffeeyum

Asked by coffeeyum at 7:44 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not a Christian, so here's a bump!
    rockinmomto2

Answer by rockinmomto2 at 7:56 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I pretty much think it means what it says. My family has practiced this. I will give you one personal example. Several years ago, my husband began running a pretty high fever. He would have it for several days, then it would go away for a bit, only to return. He saw his regular doctor several times and underwent a series of tests, and nothing was found that would cause the almost constant fever. The next step was to be referred to an infectious disease doctor. So we called our church and asked for the leadership body to meet with us and to pray for my husband. That happened. During that prayer time, my husband was asked if there was any known sin in his life, which he and I had already discussed, and the answer was no. So those men went around the room, praying for my husband. It was a sweet time, and my husband's fevers left. We never knew what had caused them, and they have not returned.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:56 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I think you're close, here is what was on a sermon tape .

When we are sick, we are in essence first weakened from something, either in us, in our environment, or our thoughts. We get weak and forget to ask God for either one of 4 things. Forgiveness, strength, correction, or prayer. (I love all 4) [poster] : )
    so when a church is gathering and praying, and the church believing body, people of the church, have all got issues, each one is to tell another one "each week" their sins, .....simply they are all accountable to each other because they are the people of this community, so it is natural in James: 5: 14, 15, and 16 to know that practice of confessing or fault telling is really mandated . Quakers would do this in the early church and the pastors would make sure that each person was on TIME. This was very important. It helped them to take it more seriously.== A hospital would want the same , no?
    coffeeyum

Comment by coffeeyum (original poster) at 8:04 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• not sure why you're leaving out line 13, makes sense to include that to me since it's just one more line of a paragraph

and just incase anyone else doesn't know it off hand, I'll save some looking up time

"13Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise. 14Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. 16Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:15 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• (ran out of space)
    I agree with NannyB - it says what it means.
    BUT I do not think prayer alone heals, God gave us doctors for a reason, so don't just think that prayer is going to heal every one and everything.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:17 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• i agree with the 1st response
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:33 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• It means what it says.... However, I think the doctors are the instrument God uses to heal you. Or you know, the medicine or whatever it is that makes you better. I also think that there are times when God doesn't answer prayer the way we want, (like not healing us) but it doesn't mean he isn't answering the prayer, he's just answering it in a way that we don't understand. For example, if someone had cancer, died and went to heaven, then God did heal them. Just not in the way we expected.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 11:35 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• ok so 16 just gets overlooked. If we are sinners born in sin by original 2 people Adam and Eve, and we KNOW this. Than is it only good to tell each other our weaknesses in church as a group mandated not leaving anyone out, and in deed we would (also in word together, .....) make it gracious that we aren't trapped into or by our sins, and yes if we are happy surely sing to praise God, but that isn't what he is asking to take away our sickness, or sins forgiven. It say as our sins are forgive, then it also says---- " and therefore confessing our sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. " Yes sinG, but pray when in sin (no-G)
    coffeeyum

Comment by coffeeyum (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• did you notice how sin and sing are only one letter off ?
    coffeeyum

Comment by coffeeyum (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• And yes if we did die God would heal in heaven or the new earth. But it's the thing about still living. That's what many people just overlook, .. we go to work, get sick, and then our lives are drenched in this decision to want stability. We still need. We would say to that person is their anything I can do ? But THEY are sick, so we don't really understand, . My point was when we have a bible set of instructions that includes singing praise, (happy) , or if you are in trouble , pray for them, or is anyone sick, annoint with oil, (elders do ), and confess faults to one another, this is where no one wants to be part of things. I've seen it in my family from childhood, everyone would say, is there something we can do>? Or is it a time we need to talk about some issue, / problem, etc.
    coffeeyum

Comment by coffeeyum (original poster) at 12:07 PM on Aug. 24, 2010