getting a 6 year old to flush the toilet

My sisters six year does not flush the toilet. It seems like every time I go to use the bathroom there is mess left int he bowl. How do I get him to stop this. My sister seem to do nothing about it so I guess it is up to me. When I ask him why he doesn't do it he just shrugs his shoulders and says he can't remember.
It is so gross, it needs to stop.

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 8:16 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 6 year old son is the the same way, his older sisters are constantly yelling about it! We made a sign that says "FLUSH!!" and hung it on the wall behind the toilet to help him remember to.
    Mystyk_moon

Answer by Mystyk_moon at 9:11 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• How about getting a Husband to flush (50+)?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:17 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• It sounds like he maybe has not been taught this? Teach him calmly that it is to be done in your house. And you want to hear it each time he goes. Ask him when he returns and give him hug. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:18 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• keep reminding him as soon as he comes out of the bathroom, after enough times of having to go back and flush it, he'll start to remember.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:19 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Just keep reminding him. If he forgets, have him go back and flush it. I always tell my kids when going to the bathroom to close it, flush it, then sanitize.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:21 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Its a kid thing I guess because Im still wondering why my 4 year old will not flush the toilet..When I go in the bathroom and lift the seat and I see a mess I ask him why and he just says its funny mommy
    mamaof3kiddoz

Answer by mamaof3kiddoz at 8:32 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Every time he comes out of the bathroom, remind him to flush. That way he gets irritated enough to remember before he comes out.
    rockinmomto2

Answer by rockinmomto2 at 8:35 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• just keep reminding him
    san78

Answer by san78 at 9:08 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My 8 yr. old does this all the time...I keep sending him back no matter when I find it. i'm hoping one day he'll get sick of me sending him back and he'll just take care of it when he's there. I've been thinking of making him start to clean the bathrooms too--we'll see who caves first. It's so frustrating!
    mjjn

Answer by mjjn at 9:27 AM on Aug. 24, 2010