Did you hear about the woman who was charged for being overweight?

A woman in Dekalb County, Ga went to a salon for a pedi, mani and eyebrow arch. When she paid and was letting her nails dry she noticed from the prices on the board and her bill that she was charged $5 too much. Thinking it was an honest mistake she asked the manager if she could review her bill and the manager told her she charged her a $5 fee for being overweight!
The pedicure chairs have a 200 pound capacity and she was over that weight. She then went on (I heard this part over the radio this morning from an interview with the woman and shopkeeper) to tell the customer that if she had been there when she came in she wouldn't have taken her and told her not to come back to her shoppe again!
The woman called the news and had it broadcasted which I think was great!

I found a video clip and a news piece.
I will post the links below.

What do you think of this story?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 8:24 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• And I'm curious as to how they knew she was over the 200 lb weight limit. Did they weigh her? Some people weigh something entirely different than what they look like they weigh. Secondly, why do they have to charge $5 every time someone uses the chair? In't the price of the chair paid off by now? Give me a break. $5 more to sit in a chair?! If she' paying for the services, it's only normal to think that you'll be accommodated while receiving the services. I'm not overweight, but I certainly wouldn't be going there...I'd be afraid I'd be hit with unknown charges for God knows what. Who knows? I have long hair. Maybe they'd charge me because they had to use a different brush or something, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:24 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• How do they know she was over 200 pounds? And if she breaks the chair, that's one thing, but from what I read here it doesn't sound like she did. I'm sure they're just using it as an excuse to make an extra five bucks. People disgust me with their greed and insensitivity.
    Azure

Answer by Azure at 8:29 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• SAHMinIL2- It is different, not that I agree with that anyway! The airlines does this because the people need the room and sometimes use 2 seats! She didn't overflow the seat and need two. And she did say she would have refused her service!! You CAN NOT refuse service to anyone for how they look, or what they weigh!!!!!!
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:34 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• The salon owner should buy chairs that would accomodate all her customers, If they cost more she could charge an extra .50 or $1.00 to all customers to cover the cost without teling them why...but she felt the urge to embarrass this woman ..bleh.....no customer service

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:32 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• OP perhaps you didn't read the link you provided. She also stated this in the video provided in you link.

“I was embarrassed,” Fonville said. “I had to turn my head away because I wanted to cry.”
    momentofpeace

Answer by momentofpeace at 8:50 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• OMG! You know what she should have told her that before she even sat down in the damn chair. That inconsiderate B!tch should be doing it for free after that.
    No one deserves to be treated like that.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 8:27 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• What law is there that prevents a private business from refusing services to costumers based on looks and weight?
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:37 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Then they should have posted it if they were going to charge extra.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 8:47 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Sweet-a-Kins; The shop owner said if she would have been there when the woman came in she WOULD have refused service.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:06 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I agree with SAHMinIL2. I weigh too much for the chair, but, I can see charging me $5 for that. LOL And I assure you, the lady wouldn't have charged me because I don't look like I weigh that much. If the lady in the story is that big that she LOOKS over the limit, then, yeah...she should pay 5 more. She already has to pay more for her clothes. It's expected.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:31 AM on Aug. 24, 2010