Is the 'devil/satan/evil' simply a part of our own subconscious?

I read something interesting about Eve/Jesus and so on not being tempted by a REAL Satan, but that it was a part of themselves that was struggling with the other- like both good and evil exist in all of us and that it fights with each other and one side wins and one sides doesn't; there is really no satan/devil per say- he's not a real being.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:27 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I think that humanity has MORE than enough evil in its own nature that we don't need to create the devil. But yes. Like god, satan or the devil was created by our own minds. And Adam and Eve were obviously set up by their god to fall. Really, all he had to do was NOT put the forbidden trees in the garden at all and everything would have been fine. Our dark sides scare us sometimes--the depraved things that even a morally good person can imagine would scare anyone!! Horror movies like "Saw" and "Nightmare on Elm Street" come out of humanity's dark nature, just as charity and the impulse to help someone in trouble comes from our light or positive nature. Any mother who has told her child not to touch something and has found that child irresistably draw to that thing understands. When the cookies disappear after you've told kids to stay out of them, it doesn't take much detective work to figure out what happened!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• IMO, they're all figments of our imagination. I think the entire bible is a metaphor on how you should live your life, not a book of truth. All the bible stories teach a lesson, and they're very good lessons, but I doubt they're fact. So yes, I think that every person struggles with good and evil, and the majority of us choose the good!
    rockinmomto2

Answer by rockinmomto2 at 8:29 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I do believe the concept of the devil merely represents the temptation that's a natural part of life. Not necessarily an evil "part" of us, but more the struggle when having to choose between the choices we're presented in life between doing what's right or doing what's easier or more self-advancing....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:18 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• It reminds me of the old story
    An elder Cherokee Native American was teaching his grandchildren about life. He said to them, A fight is going on inside me. It is a terrible fight, and it is between two wolves. One wolf represents fear, anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, pride, and superiority. The other wolf stands for joy, peace, love, hope, sharing, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, friendship, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. This same fight is going on inside of you and every other person too. The children thought about it for a minute and then one child asked his grandfather, Which wolf will win? The old Cherokee simply replied: The one I feed.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:01 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• The story about the Cherokee elder and the wolves was one of metaphor, like others before me have said the same metaphor is seen throughout countless religions, including the Bible. The word SATAN, comes from the Latin Satanas which means Adversary, or the Hebrew ha-satran which translates as the accuser. It was all a metaphor like the two wolves. Over the years it has evolved into Satan being an actual "being" and enemy of the Christian God. A clever rouse or scapegoat that is used by many to blame their faults on rather than take responsibility for themselves. How often do we hear someone say "The devil made me do it". Metaphorical beings have no such power. You often hear Christians state that the Devil's greatest accomplishment was convincing people he doesn't exist, but really it was convincing people he does.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:09 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I like to beleive that Heaven doesn't want me and Hell's afraid I'll take over.

I agree with rockinmomto2.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 8:33 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I believe there is a tug of war within all of us to do good or bad,,,,,,Yes I believe there is a heaven and a hell........sometimes I think I'm living in hell right now...........

zbee

Answer by zbee at 8:37 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• No, he's real.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 4:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I agree with you IhartU, %100.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:47 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• its stuff that gets ingrained into us by society and family and religions, ya
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:53 AM on Aug. 24, 2010