How did your Lucifer, who was at one time an angel of light, come to sin?

How did your Lucifer, who was at one time an angel of light, come to sin? There was no other devil to tempt him. He was in perfectly good society -- in the company of your God. All of his associates were perfect. How did he fall? Why was your God so unpopular? Why were the angels so bad? Did your God create those angels, knowing that they would rebel? Did he deliberately sow the seeds of discord in heaven, knowing that he would cast them into the lake of eternal fire -- knowing that for them he would create the eternal prison, whose dungeons would echo forever the sobs and shrieks of endless pain?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:33 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Satan desired to be God, to essentially “kick God off His throne” and take over the rule of the universe. Satan wanted to be God, and interestingly enough, that is what Satan tempted Adam and Eve with in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 3:1-5).

First of all, none of these verses say that the tempter in the garden was anything but a "serpent".   Not Satan.  Not Lucifer.  A SERPENT.  Second, where is the verse that even INDICATES that Lucifer and Satan are the same person?  Satan is still in heaven in the book of Job.  I think it's one of the epistles of Paul that speaks of the angel Lucifer being cast down--but nothing about Satan suffering this fate.  Come on.  You're a missionary wife.  Do some enlightening instead of just empty preaching!

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Well, first of all, he is not MY lucifer. You can have him ;-) Second of all, I think you are asking this question not out of honesty, but to trip up the believer and make her look stupid. No reasonable answer that you get is going to satisfy you, it will only fuel the fire and give you more ammunition. But since I am not afraid to be laughed at or scorned, I'll throw my two cents in there ;-) Satan fell because of pride. He desired to be God, not to be a servant of God. Notice the many “I will...” statements in Isaiah 14:12-15. Ezekiel 28:12-15 describes Satan as an exceedingly beautiful angel. Satan was likely the highest of all angels, the most beautiful of all of God's creations, but he was not content in his position....cont...
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 2:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Instead, Satan desired to be God, to essentially “kick God off His throne” and take over the rule of the universe. Satan wanted to be God, and interestingly enough, that is what Satan tempted Adam and Eve with in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 3:1-5).
    It really isn't hard to understand. God created this particular angel, just as He created people. He created this angel and us, not to be robots to serve Him against our will. He wants us to chose to love Him, and want to serve Him. Satan obviously didn't want to and his pride and sin caused God to remove him from HIS sight. God can not allow sin into heaven. Just as He will not allow our sin into heaven and we must be cleansed by the blood of Jesus Christ as the Bible says. Again, it really isn't hard to understand. I hope that helped ;-)
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 2:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Maybe god screwed up when he created Lucifer? Maybe he was defected? IDK...I don't believe in any of it, so it's hard to say. People say that God is a jealous god, so obviously, their god must have some insecurities, which means he is not perfect. I was always told that the scripture in the bible that says god is jealous, is actually a mistranslation. I read that the oldest text that still exists today, says in the bible that god is ZEALOUS...not jealous. Like most of the bible, i believe it's been changed to suit what people want to preach. If god is jealous, then this puts fear in people to worship him OR ELSE! I would never worship a jealous god. In Hinduism, god loves humanity too much to be jealous, or cast people to hell.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:59 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I think God allowed Lucifer to sin, just as God allowed him to torment Job. I think that because Lucifer was at the right hand of God that he knew a lot more about it than we think. God gave him a lot of power because he was God's favorite. Basically he was spoiled. I've heard someone preach about Satan being God's favorite and he wanted more power so God gave it to him to show him that he didn't really want it.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 11:43 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I was told that Lucifer was jealous of gods power & tried to decieve him, or something. So god cast him away where lucifer grew in anguish & created hell. It's all a bunch of bullshit if you ask me.

"Did he deliberately sow the seeds of discord in heaven"

That is a great question!

None of it makes any sense. I actually THINK way to much to just "have faith" that it's true. I can't stop my brain from asking "who, what, when, where, & why". And when i ask those question, it never EVER adds up. Some can blindly believe easily...i cannot. I think waaay to much to blindly believe anything.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:44 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• its just a fable, like the stories of Olympus and the Norse gods are. Its metaphorical, not meant to be a real event.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:56 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• The bible calls him the originator. So he did not get it from anyone. I thought that was pretty easy to figure out, guess not.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 10:04 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Haha, well he's not "my" Lucifer. I don't believe in him, or in any of the other angels.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:32 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• i always thought that Lucifer was ticked off b/c he had to serve humans and thought he was above that (like witchqueen said). i have a very "Dogma" view of the whole Lucifer story. who knows, maybe he was drunk ;).

but to quote bandgeek "he's not "my" Lucifer. I don't believe in him..."
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2010