$578 M school complex built after 3000 teachers laid off.

Of course it's in California. Time and time again Cali shows they don't care about their kids. Sure it's nice to have a big fancy shcool but what good is it if you don't have good teachers?

Link text

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 8:40 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree. California doesn't care about their kids and they certainly don't care about their disabled kids. There are no resources for these families.

momentofpeace

Answer by momentofpeace at 8:42 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Crazy, kids have no respect for anything these days what makes them think this school will stay nice and pretty?? did you happen to see the teachers lounge..thats rediculous!!!!! pretty soon they wont be able to afford the teachers!
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 8:44 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I agree, and they wonder why so many of our kids hate going to school and aren't learning as well as they should be.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 8:44 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I just read that news story yesterday. I was disgusted to say the least. And the people of LA wonder why their cost of living is so high.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:06 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Crazy isn't it? But thats California for ya. I see a new Barrack Obama school just opened in Maryland too.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:43 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Do understand something about funding. New building is paid for with voter-approved bond measures. The bonds in question were approved while things were flush. AND bond funds CANNOT be redirected to the general fund. That's against the law. They MUST be used for the construction project that was approved.

A school district cannot just push money around easily, the way you and I can in our household budgets. Yeah, it's stupid but there you are.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:40 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• In Los Angeles, officials say the new schools were planned long before the economic pinch and are funded by $20 billion in voter-approved bonds that do not affect the educational budget.

AND bond funds CANNOT be redirected to the general fund. That's against the law. They MUST be used for the construction project that was approved.-YEP

Read the articles provided BEFORE jumping on the bandwagons. I wonder if this is how people making decisions when they vote too- actually, I do not wonder.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Schools without teachers? How does that work?
    SavageJane

Answer by SavageJane at 12:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• "Schools without teachers? How does that work? "

Crazy, isn't it? My station is on the campus of a terribly underfunded community college, not unlike most community colleges here in CA. But we have four new buildings here... two just opened. Paid for with bond monies.

It would have been LOVELY to divert the funds for the new science building before ground was broken last spring, and use those funds for students. But that's NOT allowed under the bond measure. New buildings or no cash.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:58 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Interestingly stupid.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2010