Arm Flapping?

My daughter is almost 8 months old and for the past month or so has been flapping her arms. Sometimes right, sometimes left, rarely both but it still happens. She does it when she is happy, bored, tired, most of the day.
I have seen autistic kids do this too. She is on track developmentally but I remember this one kid I babysat also was ahead of other kids and then after he turned 2 everything just stopped and he wouldn't talk or look at one... it seemed to be overnight.
She also wont make eye contact when I pick her up. In fact when I am holding her she will physically move her body to avoid looking at me.
Also, she used to babble all the time all day long and now the most I can get out of her is "a" all day long.
I guess maybe I am paranoid and just need a little reassurance. Anyone else experience this?

pretend2fly

Asked by pretend2fly at 8:53 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• not Autism (my boys have that), as much as Turrets Syndrome (the body twitches and swinging of arms, or kicking, without notice).
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:55 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I have not nor am I experiencing this, but I highly reccomend speaking to the pediatrician and voicing your concerns. Sadly, there may nto be anything they can do to test for Autism until she is older and more capable of interactive play and such.

Good luck and I am sure everything is fine!

Keep me updated?
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 8:57 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Thats not Autism. Autism is not testable until they are about 4-6 yrs old in any case, but arm flapping isn't part of Autism. Attn Deficit, hard to concentrate, impulsive, difficulty in communicating, excessive talking or hardly talking at all, hyper focused on topics...google the symptoms of Autistic behaviors

Turrets however is more likely a candidate since that does involve involuntary body movements like arms flapping, kicking, twitches, etc
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:59 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I gotta disagree with Zoeyis. I have three on the autism spectrum and my now nine year old autistic son did this too when he was six months old. Not so much the arm flapping, though he did on occasion, he was a head rocker and still is. Lack of eye contact is also one of the red flags.Regression in speech as well. I am not saying she does have autism because I'm not qualified to hand out a diagnosis. What I am saying is she is doing some very familiar things that led to my son being diagnosed. But the hand flapping may be something she discovered she can do so she's experimenting with it. How's her joint attention?? If you point and tell her to look at the puppy,for example, will she turn her head and look where you are pointing?? Unless you see a developmental pediatrician, they probably won't be able to diagnose her until she's about 15-18 months. Mention your concerns at her next check up. See what they tell you.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:11 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• She can't be tested for autism until she's older, 18-24 months. You should talk to your pediatrician about it, it may be nothing to worry about. How does she react to her environment? That is a big indicator. (My step son was diagnosed at 2, they thought he was deaf. He didn't respond to anyone, was always kind of in his own world. He didn't start flapping until he was 4.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:42 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• she does look when I point, sh searches for toys when we hide them. She turns when she hears her name... I asked my friends and none of them had kids that flapped the only one who ever did has autism.
    pretend2fly

Comment by pretend2fly (original poster) at 12:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2010