New Job, really nervous

I have to two kids 3yrs and 10 months I just got a job at Walgreens and haven't worked in 2yrs. and have never operated a cash register. I'm not very good with money and math and i'm really nervous about this job because i dont want to make a fool out of myself or anything. I know they will train me but i just would like to know from some other people if it is hard to operate a cash register and count back change?
I know its kind of a dumb question but like i said i am really nervous
Thanks

malibu79

Asked by malibu79 at 8:58 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• as long as you type in the correct amount that the customer gives you, the register will tell you how much to give them back.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:00 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Well, it's not like years ago when the cashier had to do the math in her head ... everything is computerized nowadays and all you'll have to do is read the register properly and give back the appropriate change. It really couldn't get much easier.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:02 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Practice makes perfect. Make up some fake scenarios at home and work them out. What would the change be if the total was $15.67 and they gave you a $20, etc. Good luck and congrats on landing the job!!
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 9:07 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I have a hard time counting out change, too, when put on the spot. Just practice at home. And every store that I've ever gone into that has a cashier in training has always been slow. So long has your name tag says you're in training, I think customers will take it easy on you and be patient.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:01 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Congratulations! You will feel more comfortable as you put in more time on the job. Just take your time with money and don't rush. You can do it!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2010