My 10 yr old daughter stays on the computer for long periods of time. When we tell her it's enough, she pitches a fit. What can I do to stop her from doing that?

lbjd457

Asked by lbjd457 at 9:00 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• take away computer priviledges
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:01 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• use the warning system, you know "5 more minutes then you have to get off the computer"

If she pitches a fit, no computer at all the next day.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:01 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• she'll get over it. probably would be best to make a schedule and/or set time limit so it's not unexpected.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:02 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Don't let her use the computer. If she wants to spend her time pouting or having a fit let her.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:02 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• take it off her
    san78

Answer by san78 at 9:04 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• The basic problem is that she does not respect you and your authority over her. This is probably something that has been going on for a long time, and it's probably not going to be an overnight fix. I would start setting a time limit for how long she will be allowed to use the computer. You decide what is going to happen if she doesn't shut the computer down when time is up. When she gets on, I would start a timer. When the timer goes off, she is done. If she doesn't immediately shut it down and leave it, then you go in and turn it off. Then you remind her of what the punishment is for not having obeyed the rule. Then you must follow through with the punishment every single time she doesn't honor the rule. If she pitches a fit, double the punishment, and remind her that she is the one who is making the choice to disobey, and therefore she is determining the outcome. She has the power to change the outcome!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:07 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I'd ground her from the computer for a week, and tell her if that's the way she's going to act when you allow her this privilege, then she won't be able to have this privilege.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 9:08 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• We have the same problem here with our 11 yr. old girl. I set limits and make her do chores first. If she doesn't get off when I say time is up, she's not allowed to play the next time she asks. Sharing between three siblings is an issue too--they want another computer (we have two they can use in the main area of our house), but I put my foot down. Enough is enough. The biggest problem for me with this system is that I always feel like I have to be the "time police" and keep track. We tried using a timer, but the kids messed with that and then I had to take their computer time away for that. I miss the days when they used to just want to go outside to play!

mjjn

Answer by mjjn at 9:20 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• no computer at all until she learns to respect you and the rules. period.
    tanper29

Answer by tanper29 at 9:23 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• u could also set a time limit on the computer. i have that for my kids. they can only log on at certain times and it shuts down at a certain time. and they don't know my password to get on to my profile. another thing u can do is set an egg timer and tell her when it goes off she is to get off the computer pronto.
    tanper29

Answer by tanper29 at 9:26 AM on Aug. 24, 2010