OK I think my boss really crossed the line here...

I work in a resturant and it's pretty bad... My boss doesn't care. She uses the safe as her personal bank, steals food like crazy, wears flip flops walks around with her hair down ect. But this weekend I think she really screwed up. The walk in cooler broke. She got it fixed and it cooled down to 28degrees. Sun. night I go in there and it's 55 degrees. I called her, she didn't answer, so I left her a voicemail. When I went back in Mon. she told me that when she came in Mon. morning the cooler was still at 55 degrees and they got it worked again. but she KEPT ALL THE FOOD! That just does not seem safe to me at all!!! I really really really want to report it to the BOH, but how could I even prove something like that? it's fixed now so the temp is right again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• well, you won't be able to prove it really, except there should be receipts from the 2 times the cooler got worked on. That will at least show somewhat that it was not working properly during those days. The BOH can test food for bacteria growth too.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:12 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• it depends on how many hours the food was in there. food is still good i think up to 8 hours without being chilled. I learned this from my store mananger at walmart. Our power would always go out for hours at a time and as long as it wasnt over 8 hours it was okay
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:12 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I agree that she crossed the line. This could turn out pretty bad for patrons eating there. Is there someone else you could talk to about this, such as the owner.........also, would mention her attitude and appearance....It seems this person really doesn't care about herself or any one else. Good luck hon

zbee

Answer by zbee at 9:12 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• thats what the health departments rules were anyways...i'm sure it could go longer
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:13 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Is there any of the food left? If there is maybe you could have someone come test it for safety and let that be your reasoning for calling the BOH. Then not only does it not make you look like you are ratting her out, but you can submit the complaint anonymously and reassure them to look for the multiple receipts of the freezer being fixed... or if you know which company fixed it you could also let them know this so they can check into that as well.
    Also, you could submit a complaint to the BBB as it sounds like she needs it done for the fact that her business doesn't sound healthy AT ALL.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:16 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• can I have the name of the place you work at, so I know not to go in there any time soon???? lol.

I would report it without proof anyway... Let them come in & see how she is daily & have them test the food................. The truth will come out in the end.

Is she the owner? or just the boss. If shes not the owner, find out how to report her to the owner!!!!
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 9:25 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• It really does depend on how long the cooler was at 55, it takes awhile for food to warm up to the ambient temperature of the room. You could call the BOH anonymously and let them know, they may come out and test to make sure the food is safe. Depending on how busy the restaurant is, there may not be much left to test though.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:34 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• If you report her she will be watched and by the sounds of it she will screw up something soon enough
    jamiesuev22

Answer by jamiesuev22 at 12:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• The first question in food service you should ask yourself is "Will I eat this" and go from there. Refrigerated food has to be kept at or below 41 degrees but no more than 45 degrees. The food can sustain over this tempurature no more than 2 hours before bacteria can grow enough to cause food poisoning. This should be reported to the health department not only because your boss needs to not work in food service but also knowingly serving bad food can be illegal in some states.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:16 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• call the health dept - annon - tell them you cant risk losing your job but you know that happened and you dont want to make the ppl who eat there sick... tell them everything. how she will say she fixed it but they need to test the actual food for bacteria because that simply isnt right. what if you lose all your regular customers because you make them sick. or you could just go over her head and call the owner of the company but that might backfire for you - as you cannot do it without telling them who you are. if you know them - and they are cool - that would be the nicest thing to do...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:23 AM on Aug. 25, 2010