How to get stinky plastic smell from a favorite toy?

Any ideas on removing a really bad smell from a new plastic toy? It's a red dragon from a Megablocks set--kind of a soft, bendy plastic. It smells just horrible--like bad diarrhea-- and my son can't hardly stand to play with it. He loves it and bought it with his own money--please help!
Thanks!

mjjn

Asked by mjjn at 9:14 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• dishwasher?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:15 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I soak my kids toys in lysol and put them through the dishwasher to get them clean and sanitized. I'd presume it would help with smells too.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 9:19 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Try the dishwasher but it may melt & make your dishwasher smell, or just leave it outside for a day or two in the sun & fresh air then wash by hand and maybe soak it in a little water & bleach. I would call the company or email them with this complaint. That is wrong for a toy to smell that bad & you may just get a replacement toy free. Keep it away from your Son for a while since it's probably emitting PVC fumes. Good Luck.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:35 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I didn't think about the PVC issue. I always worry about water bottles and plastic food containers too. He won't put it in his mouth, but still he's breathing the smell. Thanks for pointing that out!
    mjjn

Comment by mjjn (original poster) at 11:02 AM on Aug. 24, 2010