How do I get my twins to stop yelling?

It seems as though my 9 year old twin daughters can't speak to each other without raising their voices, it's been a habit with them since they were little. They can be sitting right next to each other playing Barbie and to hear them speak you'd think they were on opposite sides of the room. It wouldn't be so bad except Daddy works 3rd shift so he needs to sleep during the day, and they do get very loud sometimes. They start school in 2 weeks, but once they get home and homeworks done, then on weekends it'll start again. Oh, and their hearing is fine, it's been checked. How do I get them to quiet down a bit? Their younger siblings are starting to pick up the habit!

Mystyk_moon

Asked by Mystyk_moon at 9:17 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Duct tape?
    No really try whispering to them and they will just naturally pick up on it. That is what I do when my kids get too loud and it works.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 9:19 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I agree with babyfat5, try whispering to them. Eventually they will catch on.
    victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 9:28 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Positive and negative reinforcement? Start a jar with chips in it. Blue chips for good interactions, red chips for bad ones. At the end of the week if they have more blue chips then red they get a reward. The reward can be a trip to the park with mom or a new shirt, etc. Your choice. As they met the goal make the ratio of chips they need to get a prize bigger. Also, no yelling yourself! Set an example. I have 1 year old twin girls. I've been teaching them not to hit by positive reinforcement. It works wonders!
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 9:33 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Whisper to them.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:43 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• lol...I have triplets and we are CONSTANTLY telling them to use their "inside voice"!! They are soooo loud at times that we have to plug our ears...lol. And there hearing is fine too. I chalk it up to being multiples and having to fight for attention and for their voice to be heard. IDK, but I was hoping it would get better as they get older (they are 4), but after reading this I am not so sure...and now scared that I will need to invest in ear plugs...lol
    tripletmommy806

Answer by tripletmommy806 at 11:10 AM on Aug. 24, 2010