Do you keep your kids every weekend?

I was talking to my mom and she was telling me that my cousin drops his baby off with someone almost every weekend. She's 8 1/2 months old. I guess any chance they get the baby is with someone else. Even at their wedding his wife did not want the baby around to mess up HER day. DD is 8 months old and has NEVER spent night a away from us... I dunno, maybe I'm one of those weird moms that actually likes to be around her kids! lol. I can see when she is older lettering go spend the night with Grandma or something. But the way I see it, she is MY child and it is MY job to raise her, not someone elses. I feel bad dropping her off at Grandmas for five hours so DH and I can go out, and we have only done that three times! ( i understand it's completely different with shared custody parents!)

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 9:20 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• There's no way I could do that. I trust no one with my DD nor could I ever just give her to someone for a weekend. I would drive me nuts.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 9:23 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• yeah they are home pretty much 24/7 minus school days
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:24 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My son has never been away from me. Even when he was admitted to the hospital 3 yrs ago I stayed the night with him. My BIL sends his daughter off every weekend,all weekend,to his sister's house. She's 7

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:25 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Yes. My 3 1/2 year old has never slept away from me.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 9:25 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I have on occasion dropped Victoria off at Grandma's for a weekend visit (not the whole weekend, just a couple hours on a Saturday). Victoria is an only child and being at Grandma's gives her the chance to play and be with her cousins, who range from almost 2 to 10 that will be there.
    victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 9:27 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I never left mine. They're grown now, but I didn't leave them overnight more than 3 or 4 times in their childhoods. Excluding sleepovers that they were invited to with a friend (whose parents I knew). But, not for my own benefit. I can't imagine just leaving your kids with other people like that. We rarely left them with a babysitter for a date night, only for special occasions like our anniversary.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:29 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• i have my children every weekend. but i do let them go to grandpa's for a weekend. once in a while. no need to feel quilty about dropping your baby off to spend time with grandma and grandpa so you and hubby can spend sometime together. its good for you and for your baby. the way i see it is i need a break from my kids sometimes and i'm sure they need a break from me...lol
    tanper29

Answer by tanper29 at 9:30 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My 7 yr. old stayed overnight at her Grandma's twice, but the little ones (3 yrs., 18 months, and 5 months) have only been away from me for 3 hours MAX. I would never leave my children all weekend.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 9:32 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• DD spends the night with her grampy and grammy 1-2 times a month. only one night. i'm in a wedding this weekend, rehearsal dinner friday and wedding saturday. the couple wanted us to stay friday night and saturday night. fat chance in hell. i have never been away from DD that long and until she is older I won't be. When the twins get here, i wont have to worry cause i wont be doing anything but staying home anyways lol. i know people that ship their kids off every weekend so they can party and what not. i think its selfish and irresponsible. to each their own i guess.
    Sarah5708Emma

Answer by Sarah5708Emma at 9:35 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I have my kids EVERY single day.. There are sometimes that they stay with my SO's mother overnight because she has small daughters as well.. & sometimes they stay all night with my mom.. but other than that.. I always have them. Why do people have kids if they really don't want to take care of them?
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:36 AM on Aug. 24, 2010