For mom's of children on the spectrum and/or with SPD...... (just curious)

I know that kids with SPD or ASD often do not like having their hair cut because of either the feel of the clippers/scissors, the falling hair on their skin, of from the sound of the clippers. My 12 yr old is HFA and has SPD and is the complete opposite...While he is very bothered by the feel of the loose hair on his face and skin actually having hair bothers him more. He is always begging to have his hair cut and it also has to be an "Army Joe" ( buzzzed) He also enjoys running his hands over his hair. Does anyone else's spectrum child actualy like hair cuts?

LadySaphira

Asked by LadySaphira at 9:30 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Health

• Not mine.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:31 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• i have daughter so buzz cut for her
    if she was a boy, i would tried that because hair combing was a huge issue
    much better now! thank God!
    also she allows nail clipping at times and on her terms, but she has allowed a few times
    hard to clip when she is sleeping, because she rarely sleeps/naps during the day
    and at night it is pretty hard to cut without bright light

daughters father has a buzz cut and she LOVES to feel his head, when she is on his shoulders, she rubs his head like rubbing a genie from a bottle
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:33 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My son used to HATE haircuts! It was like trying to trim a rabid poodle! Now he'll sit there and tolerate me clippering his hair. I never attempted getting his hair done at a salon. That would have been quite embarrassing! He has autism BTW

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:39 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My dd loves it too :) But she is a girly girl and likes to have a new hair do :) LOL she doesnt have many sensory issues at all. She is very mild aspergers.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:58 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My son is a "rubber" too, he is constantly rubbing his own head when his hair is buzzed and will rub his hands on mens faces when they have stubble. We are trying to stop the face rubbing thing but it isn't easy.
    LadySaphira

Comment by LadySaphira (original poster) at 10:06 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Neither of mine do. My oldest is 9 and is diagnosed with Autism. He hates that he has curly hair and tolerates hair cuts so he can have his buzzed too. He squirms and complains the entire time. My youngest boy is 5 and is awful getting his hair cut. He also squirms the entire time as well as using his hands to try to cover his head. He is visually impaired and developmentally delayed.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 10:10 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• MIne actually just asked for one. He just doesn't want it too short.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2010