Playing in the dirt...

I read in the paper yesterday that playing in dirt as a child can make you smarter and more healthy. I guess the germs in the dirt are good for your immune system and brain. I have always felt like being outside and exposed to germs is excellant for people. What do you think?

bjane01

Asked by bjane01 at 9:41 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well, my kids all spent time outdoor playing when they were younger. It isn't the germs in the dirt, its the imaginative play and the healthy activity that make them smarter and healthier.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:43 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I think that playing outside in dirt, is perfectly fine. If you don't experience it as a kid, when will you??
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 9:44 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• then that answerswhy my girls are so smart lol. My kids play in the dirt like it is sand lol.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:45 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I honestly don't think its the dirt that makes you any smarter or healthier...but it has been proven that fresh air is good for your lungs, which in turn makes for better blood flow to your brain?! So technically being outside can make you smarter, but I don't think its the dirt, well at least not this day in time.

KDBeckham

Answer by KDBeckham at 9:45 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• never heard of that, but really where else ya supposed to play outside if your not on terra firma?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:52 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I played in the dirt; trees; jump off the roof of our home; and got the scars to proof it.  Grin

What it done for me was to be the adventurous type and to use my imagine.  Of course my parents were around to see the mischief I was getting into; thank goodness. That was so much fun 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:57 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• maybe it is one of those studies that doesnt mean to be biased but it is --- like the blueberry study (kids who eat them test better than those who dont) but who can afford berries (not the poor unless they chose to make berries a priority - i know if i was worried about having enough $ for food they wouldnt be on my list) could be the same with dirt play... kids who grow up in an area where they can just go out and do whatever - dont have to worry about ruining clothes... i know since we moved to the country ds has been getting in trouble for coming in freaking FLITHY because they love to have dirt fights (all the parents have gotten them together to explain that none of them are allowed to do that) so my kid will be amazingly smart with his dirt fighting --- not!!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:00 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I loved the dirt when I was a kid. Loved mud too. My skin was always so soft after playing outside. But I don't know if there's any truth to it or not. I can't say if it made me smarter because I don't know what kind of grades I would've gotten had I not been outside so much. So really how do they test the theory?? I know germ exposure builds the immunity so I can kind of see that. Just don't know about the smarter part of it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:02 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• when we were kids we'd always say "god made dirt so dirt don't hurt" haha
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:43 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I grew up on the farm, did farm chores, picked rock, walked beans, helped feed the sheep, dogs and cats, helped in the garden, heck I'm still here. A little bit of dirt never hurt no one. Now that I live in town with my family, my husband and I have a garden and our son helps. If I had to get dirty as a kid, so is my son.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 4:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2010