YMCA

So I thought the YMCA was supposed to be like a local/help the community cheap thing, but apparently I was wrong!! I don't know about in other towns, but I just looked it up for here. And for a family to join it's 95$ a year, PLUS 35$ a month, PLUS extra for stuff like tennis courts and the pool and all the classes... and the daycare is outrageous, it's over 200$ a week. How is this helping the community??

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 9:44 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If you are low income you can get a scholarship which gives you discounts on their services and programs but it's not free.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:45 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• They are a business just like any other, you know? It's expensive to keep up with the maintenance, pay the staff, etc. At our YMCA, they do offer grants, you can get a membership based on your income.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:46 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• You can get discounts based on your income. For youth sports, it's really pretty affordable compared to other sports leagues, at least where I live.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:47 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Our YMCA gives us the family membership for $63 a month. Swim lessons, etc. are extra, but the child watch room is free...that is not technically daycare, just a safe place for the kids to hang out while we work out. I absolutely LOVE the Y.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:48 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I understand that it's not going to be free and they need to make money. But I thought they would at least be AFFORDABLE. If paid 200$ a week for daycare I would be LOSING money every week! I will have to look and see if they do fin. aid here.
    jedwards2009

Comment by jedwards2009 (original poster) at 9:49 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I think they charge more because so many people who use their programs are on scholarships and don't pay the full amount. They rely heavily on donations too.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:52 AM on Aug. 24, 2010