DO you have any tips to improve my relationships with my husband and in laws. My mother in law is always busy taking my husband against me. I hate her she's a bitch. I am so nice with her....take care of her like my mother but she's never happy. if i stop caring then she starts complaining about me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:21 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Relationships

• They're taking advantage of you. Looks like your mother in law is unhappy when you care and when you don't...so why bother. My advice would be to love yourself, take care of yourself, be yourself. Stop worrying about what they all think of you. Don't forget this family is what your husband was raised with. He's used to this behavior. Don't try to turn him against them...he needs to see this on his own. Maybe by him seeing a happy, confident, wife who loves herself who puts her needs first, he will open his eyes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My MIL never cared for me when my DH and I first got married. On top of that they never had much of a relationship before I got pregnant with my first son. I think she now realizes that if it were up to her son she'd never see my boys. I call, e-mail and maintain the relationship between she and our family. You just have to be you, don't go out of your way to please her. Over time she will come to accept you. Good Luck.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:33 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• MIL's are not who we marry. We are under no obligation to care for them or take care of them. You're doing way too much and going out of your way, and for what? Give respect, get respect. That's it. If she's disrespecting you, you aren't supposed to allow it. As women we have to sometimes learn how to separate ourselves from negativity that's brought into our lives. Let her complain about you. That really isn't your problem.
    SugaB28

Answer by SugaB28 at 8:55 AM on Oct. 9, 2008