if you get married is it illegal or legal to change child's last name without other parents permission???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:22 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Relationships

• The only way to legally change your childs last name to your husbands last name is for him to adopt him and you you need the biological father's permission to do that. Your child can use your husbands last name (my son does) but on legal documents you have to use what's on the child's birth certificate.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:15 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• you can change it to yours but not the new father.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:51 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I live in FL, and here, you must get the other parent's permission to change the last name, regardless of what name you change it to. The only exception is if the other parent is dead or if the child is being adopted by the new husband, but then you have to try to get the other parent's permission for the adoption.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:36 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I live in Arkansas and it is the same here as the posters above.. You can't just change the babys last name.. I wish it was that easy, but it isn't..
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 7:51 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Here you have to go to court to legally change their name. My cousin divorced her ex and her youngest didn't want his father's name (horrible abusive man), it took a lot to get it changed to his mother's maiden name.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:27 AM on Oct. 9, 2008