Does anyone think Parents Magazine is a bit sexist?

They hardly ever mention fathers at all. There's like this one page section regarding dads and its like...get with the times people, dads are much more active with family than they used to be and your magazine implies both parents. I dunno, just seemed that way to me and DH noticed it was very feminine toned when he was looking at one the other day.

They don't go much age 8 as far as the kids go, either. Thought we had those rugrats to 18 :).

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 10:00 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's very "mom power" and doesn't really address the father at all. You're right about the ages too - nothing ever relates to my 10 & 13 yo. I read three issues when my son was first born, I don't even bother with it anymore.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:04 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• You have a very good point. It does focus more on the Mothers.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 10:02 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• They focus on the demographic who buys the magazine. That demographic is mothers. Once in a while a dad will pick up the magazine his wife/girlfriend bought, so they have a dad bit to catch their interest.
    SavageJane

Answer by SavageJane at 10:04 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I'm sure they've researched their demographic, and I have no doubt that women are much more likely to pick up the magazine and read it. If more men bought/read/requested magazines like Parenting, I'm sure it would cater more to them.

It's a business. They're out to sell magazines, not be PC.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:24 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• That's kind of why I don't read it.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 10:03 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Maybe because mothers generally read that type of magazine, while dads do not. No matter how active they are in the childs life.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 10:04 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I don't worry about issues like that---in fact,I see that it makes sense for it to be "more feminine" because Dads rarely read about parenting or children and leave it all to the Moms to get the reading done. MAybe if a whole bunch of men who want to read parenting magazines show themselves and protest by writing letters to "Parents" magazine, things will change But I don't see that happening. Really.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:04 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I think they just assume mothers are more likely to read it.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 10:05 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• You're right, actually, and I've never really thought about it. It most likely has something to do with the fact that the majority of their readers are probably women.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:15 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• LOL..My magazine issue is placement...anyone know why all the political mags are with the MENS magazines?! Pisses me off everytime I walk into a store to look for one! LOL
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:26 AM on Aug. 24, 2010