how to get my kidsto eat

I know this is a common question but nothing is working....How do i get my kids to eat? Mykidsre so picky. they will eat somethngs as long as my hubby is home to sit down with us, but he does not get home until around 8:00 at night so icant realy wait for him to get home to feed the kids. when it is just me with them it is a fight. I try to make it just as fun as if their dad was there but it doesnt work. and I cant have hem eat pb& j or panckes at everymeal

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Don't fight or try so hard. Set only healthy food in front of them. If they don;t want it, let them get up and when they are hungry, serve healthy foods again. Do it everytime. Do not give in and do not give the sandwich or pancakes. They WILL NOT starve...even if they refuse to eat for 3 days. Their stomachs are tiny anyway. The second you gave up and gave the pancakes, you started this mess. There is absolutely no trick to it. Just set healthy in front of them and they WILL eat it. I promise. I had one of those picky kids. Now, at 14...he will eat almost anything. Although there are a few things he HATES, he will try them everytime.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:16 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• In my house, I gave my children 2 choices. Either choose to eat what I cook, or choose to go hungary. If they are only doing this with you, then it's a behavior issue
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:16 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My son will starve himself if there is not anything around he likes to eat. he is very sensitive to taste and smells and it has been a battle but i have to take it day by day, week by week. What is really tough is school lunches. Last year the Pre-K teacher had a talk with me because I wasn't packing him enough food. All he would eat was jelly sandwiches, I wasn't going to pack food he was going to throw out. He does like ravioli so I got him a thermos for school.
    There is a misconception about picky eaters and most of the time it is nothing more then sensory issues and being sensitive. You have to get on their level and try to understand them and understand them as little people with real feelings. However do remember that poor diet can lead to constipation and do get some Benefiber and mix it into drinks or get fiber gummie bears.
    There is nothing wrong with giving them what they will only eat.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 10:36 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My SD is very picky and her dad insists on not "forcing" her to try what's on her plate. His mom does make some questionable food and I think it's more his issue that he is transferring to her. (once my dh asked me to guess what was in a bowl by my MIL's stove and I guessed 7 layer bean dip...it was soup!) DH and I are both good creative cooks and we try to come up with dishes we will all enjoy. I'll tell you what I tell him: the reason she's picky is because she's allowed to be.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 10:45 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• @wheresthewayout: If I did that, my son would have eaten nothing but canned Spaghetti-oh's, forever. Yes, while I agree texture is an issue, it came be overcome. I myself was a picky kid that puked when I ate most foods. I got over it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:46 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• We also have the eat-it-or-don't rule. It's always been that way in our house. No picky eaters here. They're rather be full on something that looks funny (asparagus if you ask my 3rd son) than hungry.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 3:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• We have two rules: 1) Try two bites of everything offered you. You may be surprised. 2) Eat what your given or wait for the next meal. My SD tried us. She has only missed two meals in 4 yrs. She tried to tell us that WE HAD to feed her. We informed her that we only have to OFFER her food. If she chooses not to eat, oh well. If our kids HATE something we will make something else for them, if we are craving it. But there is very little they HATE.
    van5

Answer by van5 at 5:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• We got my kids a Nickelodeon cook book and we let them pick a couple things a week to help us cook. But they have to eat the other stuff we make durring the week or they dont get their own days. The book has pretty good stuff in it, and I know there are other kid friendly cook books out there too if you want to try it out.
    BusyBee908

Answer by BusyBee908 at 7:25 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My oldest was very picky, he had issues with heartburn so sometimes I give him a Tums and 20 minutes later he's hungry. As he has gotten older his diet has broadened. With him it's a texture thing. He likes to know what he is biting into.
    We talk about healthy foods and I help them make good choices. They have to eat good food before they get dessert. Also, they busier they are, the hungrier they are. When they take swimming lessons, or run at the Track meet, they are much hungrier.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 8:09 PM on Aug. 25, 2010