Do you agree with this?

If you cannot afford to pay/take care of the kids you have, you should not be in college but should be working one or more jobs. Going to college is a priviledge, not a right.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• AGREE...
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:12 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Agree!
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 10:13 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• i had to choose between the two
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:13 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• disagree completely. i am in college. i have 3 children and i'm divorced. i'm in college so i CAN give my children a good life an take care of them. thats the problem with life today, people say that we should be working, yet what GOOD job can we get if we don't get a higher education? a restaurant? ok... but that doesn't have much potential, does it?
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 10:13 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I agree 100%. My grandma graduated college after I was born. She has her degree but raised her kids first worked her ass off and set a great example for her kids to work and make money . An education CAN and WILL wait. Money and finances yes would be better if you had a good education however while you are there who pays the bills?
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:17 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• You can do both! Most major universities offer either online classes or classes where you come in once or twice a month for a couple of hours at a time. I know in my area you can earn a Bachelor's degree in Business Management on 2 nights a week! So, I say if they really want both they can do both, if they are willing to work hard enough at it!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:17 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• No.... some people work while they attend college and also college is a PRIVELEDGE as you said... but who said it was only a priveledge to those without children?
    Why shouldn't it be a prvieledge to those who wish to better their lives FOR their children and for those who are trying to obtain more training in a field which will help them to support thier children?
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:18 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Disagree
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:19 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• (i'd like to add that i am a full time student, and i am going back to work soon, but i was working 2 jobs before i was put on maternity leave (not my choice.) my respect is given to those people who don't just sit around saying, "well, i have to take care of my kids, so i have no right to go get a higher education." but actually go out to make life BETTER, not just livable.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 10:21 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• No I don't agree. I believe we have choices to make. Some people choose to go straight into the work force out of necessity, but there are programs out there to help single moms so they can attend college to better care for their children. I was never in that situation. I'm a married SAHM, but I will not judge a mom who is doing what she feels she needs to for her children. It helps to have a supportive family. For some people, going to college isn't necessarily either a privilege or a right, but a necessity.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 10:21 AM on Aug. 24, 2010