my son is ready to potty train and i am clueless in this area

i know it sounds stupid and its probably easy.....i dont know how to potty train. do i have to put him on the potty every 30 min....should i wait to potty train him at night? should i give a prize for every time he goes potty? please help...and please dont be rude PS... HE DOES WELL ON THE POTTY BUT HE DOESNT KNOW HOW TO TALK YET.... HE WALKS TO THE POTTY BY HIMSELF ..HE MAKES MISTAKES SOMETIMES AND HE DOESNT KNOW HOW TO POOP IN THE POTTY YET... SOMETIMES HE TAPS ME AND POINTS TO THE BATHROOM WHEN HE WANTS TO POTTY.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I took my son to the store and told him that we were going to start going to the potty like a big boy. We bought real underwear. The next morning, I got him up and pulled off the last diaper and put him in underwear and had him go to the potty to try. I took him every 30 minutes(although you could try every 15 if you think he needs it). I did that all day. He did have accidents, but, we cleaned it up and explained about using the potty. When this became routine with no accidents, I upped it to 45 minutes. And repeated until he was going by himself or telling me every time with no accidents. He night trained at the same time. I stopped all liquids an hour before bed and made him try right before bed. After 4 days, he was completely trained, day and night.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:23 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Is there a male around? I was clueless too, but i was lucky my sons PaPa showed him the ropes ;)... also you can look up ideas online to get him started ;)..
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 10:24 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Well if he's pointing to the potty your very lucky, but how old is a good stat, I'm guessing ard 2. . You do have to be watching him, and be consistant & he may give you little signs. A little treat and a LOT of praise is very helpful. My Dr. said to me once, and I have always remembered this," His brain has to connect with the body function, you can't push it." Being a little boy, you can always send him in w/ Daddy to see how he does it also. Pay attention to when he usually has his bowl movements & take him in then too. Good Luck.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:27 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• If dad lives with you, thats definitely a thing Dad can help his son with. Mine did. He was in charge of the boy potty stuff lol
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:30 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• These are all good things,
    Keep the Diapers away from him.
    Try Pull Ups with the cool allert system
    They relly do work.
    Be accepting of him when he needs to go to the potty.
    And HELP HIM.
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 10:39 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• can dad help?
    san78

Answer by san78 at 10:47 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Sorry trying to take this question off of anonymous... His dad cant help he he travels and boxes and sometimes wont be home for up to a month
    christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 11:19 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• What I did....

I would ask probably about every 30 minutes "do you have to potty"... If there was no every time I would take him to just go sit on it about every hour or so... I put cereal in the potty when he was ready to pee standing up, told him to pee on the cereal and it was like the coolest thing ever for him! (boys like to pee on stuff I guess :) ) it takes time and there will be accidents but somehow they manage even if you don't know what you're doing. Congrats!!!
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 11:45 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1608109/Elimination_Communication_Path_to_a_Diaper_Free_Baby <- go there it looked informative
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2010