Do you work with teachers and make a point of communicating?

Are you one of those parents that is really open to communicating and working TOGETHER with teachers and other school staff to see to it that your child succeeds? I have learned over the years that it is incredibly important to communicate with teachers. I have some friends that get so defensive and will not communicate with teachers if there is an issue and all it does is make it harder on them and their children.

KTMOM

Asked by KTMOM at 10:34 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in

• It is very important to work with the teacher and the school. My daughters teachers all know who I am and they know that when it comes to my kids education I DON'T mess around. I want to know if they've gotten in trouble, what I need to do to help make them act better if they are acting up (which I haven't had to deal with yet!! thank goodness!!!) My daughters teacher know my home, work and cell phone as well as my personal and work email addresses. We talk constantly and I think when it comes to your kids education you need to be involved.
    mom23girls555

Answer by mom23girls555 at 8:30 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I do. Due to my son having autism,we truly are a team with his teachers and school.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:36 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• yeah, my boys have special needs and its not only necessary but we seem to be the only biological parents. The other boys in the class seem to be foster kids or from uncaring parents. So yeah, we have to step it up.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:36 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Autism here too :)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:37 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I absolutely do communicate.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:37 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• IMO- anyone who does not, simply does not care about their child and should be preparing for them to live at home for a very, very long time!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:42 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I plan to. She's not been in school for long, about three weeks or so. I talked to her preschool teachers often though. It's best for her if the teacher and I are on the same page. Also that when the teacher tells me she did something wrong or wants to discuss something to help her, it'll help when I don't go on the defensive of "my kid's perfect!".
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:04 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I talk with my children's teachers.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 7:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• ABSOLUTELY!! Both of my children have autism. I am a special education teacher myself, and involved in my kids PTA. I am literally on speed dial with the school principal, special education department administrators, and classroom teachers.

If I don't advocate for my children, NOTHING would get accomplished! Be visible, vocal and vehement (in a good way) if you want the best outcome for your children--whether they have special needs or not!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Yes! I wouldn't have it any other way. I check in at least once a month.
    Denise2000

Answer by Denise2000 at 11:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

Next question in
first day at school

Next question overall (Health)
Why does it hurt