Breakfast battle advice...please?!?

My daughter is a little over two and in the past, breakfast was her favorite meal. She'd eat almost anything you put in front of her especially any kind of fruit. Now it seems that breakfast is a battle because she refuses to eat half of her food, if not mroe. She's increasingly become picky and instead of giving her a multitude of options (she can speak pretty well- so easily asks for cereal, yogurt, fruit, etc) I try two or three and tell her she needs to chose. However, such as this morning, she then doesn't even eat or sits there and whines up a storm. At first we thought it was a phase and that maybe she isn't a hungry in the morning as she used to be, but then sometimes she'll eat tons of food still- so it's hard to tell. Any easy breakfast suggestions or advice on how to handle this? My concern is that she is also already considered "underweight", so her eating less at breakfast will make an impact on that.

lexi8622

Asked by lexi8622 at 10:40 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i'd let her eat when she was hungry. She will eventually.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:43 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My son just turned three, and has always been considered 'underweight'. We've been battling eating since he was about two years old. His new ped. told me to pretty much quit stressing over meals, that my son will eat when he's hungry. So now instead of just fixing him breakfast, I ask if he's ready to eat. Sometimes he'll eat as soon as he gets up, and other times it's an hour or two later. If he says he isn't hungry, then i don't push the subject. I just offer healthy snacks and foods, to make up for when he doesn't eat, and I also give him a daily multi-vitamin. I wouldn't worry about your daughter as long as she is eating some foods, and not completely starving herself... I wish you the best of luck!
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 10:47 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Welcome to my world. If she doesn't have to eat early in order to get to school, I would just eat a little later. By 10:00 she should be hungry. Can you just put out a sliced banana or whole wheat toast and not say anything. Don't make a big deal about it. She'll eat it if she's hungry. I would just make something and set it out. It sounds like it's become too much of an issue. She's testing you.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:48 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Thnx, the thing is she goes to pre-school so we aren't usually with her during the day. We've spoken to her teachers to help moniter her food intake at school and she seems to do well there. When she wakes up she asks for food and then will even ask for specefic kinds, but then it's in front of her and she doesn't want it- kind of frustrating, not to mention a waste of food sometimes.
    lexi8622

Comment by lexi8622 (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Don't feed her right away in the morning. Wait about a half hour and maybe she'll eat more. Also, maybe you could get her more involved in breakfast. So that she feels like it's something she did. Then eat with her at the table.

Easy breakfast ideas would be ..
    Bagle and Cream Cheese
    Scrambled Eggs
    Toast with a varity of toppings.
    Yogurt.

She doesn't have to have a huge breakfast for it to be a healthy breakfast. Remember it's what she's getting not how much.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:03 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• If food is not working, try adding pediasure in a special cup... she will get the nutrients and wont feel like she has to sit down to eat rather than doing something she feels is more important to her. Sippy cups are great for this if you are running her to a daycare or preschool.
    tigg01969

Answer by tigg01969 at 11:04 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I suggest that you try to relax and not push or make meal time a big deal. The bigger the deal you make, the bigger a deal if becomes.
    KiraSaucedo

Answer by KiraSaucedo at 11:31 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My 3 yr old son is also a lousy breakfast eater. I've given up trying to get him to eat when he first gets up. I wait as long as I can then give him breakfast. I limit how much I give him at a time as it makes me nuts to keep throwing food away too... If he eats it, great. If he doesn't, I make sure he has a decent snack for school and move on. I'll sometimes add a little extra in his lunchbox for school in case he gets hungry. If she's eating better at school, make sure you're putting in higher calorie nutritious foods in her lunchbox (i.e. cheese sticks, whole grain crackers, yogurt, etc).
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I was never one to push breakfast on my kids....if she is old enough to tell you what she wants to eat then I think she's old enough to know if she's hungry or not.
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 3:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Victoria has never been a child who likes breakfast. At home, she has to be up at least an hour before she will eat. Now at my mom's house, she will want food immediately after waking up.
    victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 10:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2010