do you have a good recipe for homemade caramel that doesn't require heavy cream?

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 10:49 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Food & Drink

• My uncle takes a can of sweetened condensed milk and takes off the label. Dont open the can..just put it in water in kettle ont e stove and boil for four hours. I attached a link. My uncle does 2 cans at once and keeps one in the fridge for later use.

http://www.thecookinginn.com/tcirecipes/canmilkb.html
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:52 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I have substituted half and half for heavy cream and it turned out really well. You really need the fat/texture to make good caramel :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:53 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• 1/4 cup butter
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    2 tbsp honey

melt together in a sauce pan
    bring to boil then simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.

this is a small batch, but you can always double it or whatever.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• yeah, you can use butter instead of heavy cream.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:59 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I boil a can of sweetened condensed milk for 3 hours, keeping it covered with water the whole time. Leave it in the water and let it cool to room temp. Perfect and easy.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:09 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I've been meaning to try that method michiganmom116
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:29 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Boiling a can could be dangerous if you aren't really careful. You can do the same thing this way and it takes less time:

Pour sweetened condensed milk into large microwave-save bowl. Cook on MEDIUM (50%) power for 4 minutes, stirring halfway through heating time. Reduce power to MEDIUM-LOW (30%) power; cook for 12 to 16 minutes, stirring with wire whisk every few minutes, until thick and light caramel-colored. Note: Microwave ovens may vary; adjust timing accordingly. You do have to stay with it during the cook time so it's a little more involved but also safer.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 3:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2010