What should we say or not say to cousin that ran off without saying goodbye

Last week my family went out with my husband's female cousin to a very trendy restaurant with famous people. I knew she said she was paying since we took her out the last time she was in town. The bill of course was astronomical and she insisted she was paying. She had a big blowout with her mom the next day and she took off with her hubby and son with out saying anyhting to us. She called my mil and still is but not us. I think she feels embarrassed that she had a big fight with her mom but still do you think maybe she wanted compensation for the food bill? I honestly want to stay out of the momma drama but I am annoyed that his cousin's mom called me to ask if her daughter has called us and that she left right away. Meanwhile my mil keeps bringing up the fight and the calls and so on and I am so sick of hearing about this childish nonsense between mother and daughter. What should me and my husband do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• Nothing. You are reading into it out of guilt over a huge bill. She is probably embarrassed that she fought with her mom, maybe it was a big blowout because she had a glass of wine and felt out of control. I would leave it alone OR send her a thank you note for a great dinner.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 11:19 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I would just stay out of it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:03 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I would call the girl to thank her for dinner, and ask if she wants a couple bucks, since you know the bill was high. Stay out of the fight.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:04 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Absolutely nothing.

Answer by older at 11:04 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• If it's not your fight I'd stay out of it, or you may end up in it.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:06 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Stay out of it. When she is ready she will come around.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 11:13 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• If it were me and family kept calling to rehash the drama I would calmly say "you know this really does not concern hubby and I, we are not a part of it and don't want to be involved in the drama of it all. I'n tired of this whole subject it is over and done with and frankly I could care less what happened. It is time to put it all behind us and move on" and then change the subject. If cousin calls let her know that you could care less about the drama and then go on to thank her for the meal and maybe offer her some $ to help with the cost.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:20 AM on Aug. 24, 2010