i am feedign mother of 6mths old baby. after baby's birth i didnt have menses. is it normal? I have heard that those women who dont have menses during feeding their baby, have less chances of getting pregnant easily. is it true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Yes, it is quite normal for women not to have their periods, especially while nursing, after giving birth. A friend of mine is nursing her 15 month old twice a day, and she STILL hasn't had a period!
    It is true, you're less likely to get pregnant, however, there is one caveat. You ovulate before you bleed. Thus, you could ovulate prior to having a period, and get pregnant before you've had your first period since birth. Something to keep in mind. Don't use breastfeeding as a form of birth control! I know a couple of women who have gotten pregnant that way!! There are plenty of birth control options for nursing mommies. I just had my IUD put in today, and I am nursing.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:17 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• It is true that it is less likely...if you're not having a period, you're generally not ovulating. I wouldn't trust that as your birth control though.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:31 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Yes it is normal for a breast-feeding mother to not have menses. However, YOU CAN STILL GET PREGNANT. Please use some form of contraception if you do not want another pregnancy. I am a nurse and have seen many nursing mothers with unwanted pregnancies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Oct. 9, 2008