to those with pcos.......what improvements have you seeing with metformin?how long have you been taking them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I have pcos and took metformin in the past when I was trying to get pregnant (which I never did). It made me so absolutely sick every day but I took it for 14 months. What is the reason for you using it...as in what result are you trying to get from it.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 11:14 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I took metformin for about 11 months (from step up to wean off.) I got pregnant only after they added actos, injectable drugs and IUI and , but I was older - 36. And I had trouble conceiving my first child as well. I had been on it for about 9 months when I got pregnant with my youngest.

I wasn't hugely overweight, but enough that it affected my fertility. With 3 out of my 4 pregnancies I was about the same weight - low 130's (10 lbs lower than with my 1st.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:18 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I didn't add....I started taking metformin only at first then after no results my Dr. added Avandia (gained 30 lbs in 30 days) which finally made me have a menstral cycle in which I would then take Clomid when I was supposed to be ovulating. Like I said I never got pregnant.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 11:19 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I was never given metformin until I started my IVF cycle....and I do have PCOS. Weird. When I'm not doing a cycle I'm not on it normally. What is it supposed to do?
    MrsBrF

Answer by MrsBrF at 12:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• The first time I took Met. was for 7 months until I got pregnant and then my dr had me stop during pregnancy and breastfeeding. This time around I've been taking them for 2 years. The first time I was on it I lost weight easily for the first time in my life. Both times it has improved my skin as far as acne goes. Both times it has reduced facial and body hair growth. Both times I have had more energy and it has helped my blood sugar be more stable. It has not helped my cycles but it may have helped when I became pregnant before but there's no way to tell for sure if that is why I was able to get pregnant.

DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 12:53 AM on Aug. 25, 2010