if he hits you once?is it a given that he will do it again?

or is sometimes really an honest mistake ie:he was angry,wasnt thinking straight.can it just be a once off,or am i stupid for thinking so?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Relationships

• My husband has hit me once, he didn't mean it and I honestly believe that (in his case!)

My ex boyfriend, the first time, I thought, he really didn't mean it (like he said) well, after having a car window busted in my face and a couch thrown at me, I left his sorry a$$

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:15 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• So what happens if he gets really angry again? Or combine that with alcohol? I don't know your SO, but personally, if a guy EVER hit me, he'd only do it once.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:20 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I have to agree odds are he may do it again. The first time my ex hit me he said he lost his temper & wasnt thinking straight...Then the next time he did it he broke my jaw & said he did it because he loved me & i made him mad...The third time he did it with a 2 x4 across my back and said he only did it because he was drinking....Lesson learned anger + alcohol = alot of hospital bills
    fire_girl7281

Answer by fire_girl7281 at 7:29 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Unless it's an accident (for example, you're walking behind him, he flings his arm out telling his buddy a story and pops you in the face), I would not be willing to take the chance that it won't happen again. And even if it didn't happen again, to me, the memory of it and the fear that he might do it again someday would make me too unhappy to stay.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:34 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• i have been in the same situation. i was like you the first time my husband hit me. if he does it once more than likely he will do it again. no man ever has a good reason or anything to EVER lay a hand in violence and anger on a woman. there is no question about that. as far as staying w/ him, well i am still with my husband but since a yr ago he has not laid a hand on me in anger ever again. he changed. actually it has been more like a yr and a half since he ever hit me. good luck and just do what you think is best.
    jaydensmom1205

Answer by jaydensmom1205 at 7:35 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I would say there is a good chance that he could do it again, and why take that chance. The next time you might not be lucky and could end up in the hospital or even dead. And if you have kids in the sitaution, what if he were to hit them. Is it really worth risking?
    atjm0919

Answer by atjm0919 at 7:38 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• It really just depends on the person. It could definitely have been a one time thing. There is the chance that it might happen again. It's just up to you whether he is worth the chance to you!
    Unless he is hitting the kids. Then I wouldn't suggest staying.
    jluvskija

Answer by jluvskija at 7:46 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I don't know how to answer your question. All I can do it tell you that if my husband ever hit me (which would so not in his character), we'd have to call the ambulance to our house to take HIM to the hospital. That is something you don't want to ever put up with.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:54 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I believe that it TRULY depends on the man. My dad was EXTREMELY violent. He had anger issues and other emotional issues, though. I look at it this way, if America can give murderers a second chance (in cases of temporary insanity or manslaughter) it seems a bit silly that a man who temporarily loses control and acts out of emotion and hits somebody (regardless of gender) why don't THEY deserve a second chance? I also don't understand why it is acceptable for a woman to hit a man in the face (i.e. slapping) but if a man were to slap a woman in the face, it is spousal abuse. Not all men who hit once will hit again...IMO.

I WOULD leave the house for a while with my children while we ALL go through family counseling. He MAY have emotional issues that he needs to work out.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 8:01 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• It really depends on the guy but in most cases if he hits you once he will hit you again.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:10 AM on Oct. 9, 2008