My dog is sick

We had a puppy that we rescued from a neighbor that abused it, and it died of parvovirus, we already had a dog, then we got another dog (Simeon) He is about 1 now, adn has all of his shots, but it seems like he has the parvo diarrhea without other symptoms. I called the vet, but they arent sure, anyone know if he could have a light form of it? Thanks!

JoLee12345

Asked by JoLee12345 at 11:15 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Pets

• Take him to the vet to have him checked out.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:17 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• i would give him some pepto bismo
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 11:17 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I already called, and the military post vet will not treat for parvovirus, and off post wont take him because he is registered on a military post!
    JoLee12345

Comment by JoLee12345 (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• From what ive heard, the shots cant eliminate the disease completely, only try and prevent it. I dont think they can get a mild virus, so hopefully it will just be a mild virus or something he ate. Hope hes better soon hun x
    mum-to-a-cutie

Answer by mum-to-a-cutie at 11:19 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• he is still eating and drinking, and not vomiting, but he has the diarhea
    JoLee12345

Comment by JoLee12345 (original poster) at 11:19 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Did you get him as a puppy or as a 1yr old dog that had all his shots prior to coming into your home? It is possible for an older dog to get parvo and yes, it is usually a milder case due to having the vaccines. Give him a bland diet of white rice, boiled hamburger or turkey or cottage cheese. That should help with the diarrhea and will be gentler on his stomach. Offer water at all times. If he seems to be getting worse, like the diarrhea/vomiting is not stopping or he will not eat or drink, I would take him to the vet immediately. Good luck and I hope he gets better soon!!
    tripletmommy806

Answer by tripletmommy806 at 11:21 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• thanks, and I got him at 10 weeks, and he does not vomit, and is still playful, and eating and drinking, that is why i am confused!
    JoLee12345

Comment by JoLee12345 (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Puppies get diarreah quite often. They have sensetive tummies. If it's parvo the diarreah usually has blood in it and the smell is unforgettable, I mean distinct. I'll never forget it. If he's lethargic and not eating I would suspect parvo, but not just from the runs alone.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:34 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• If the only symptom is diarrhea is could be something else, such as he ate something that upset his stomach or it could even be worms. I would take him into the vet and have him tested for worms, if it continues. That is an easy fix.

Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 4:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Parvo has a distinct smell ~ if your puppy had it you should recognize it instantly. That being said, dogs do get tummy upsets. Sometimes they vomit, sometimes the get the squirts, sometimes both ~ but that doesn't mean it's parvo. I would not feed him anything for 12 hours and just give water and than offer the bland diet (rice, chicken) mentioned above in small portions to start. If at any time he stops drinking you need to get him to a vet.

I don't know where you live, but I've never heard of a situation where post/off post vets don't cooperate. I've taken my cats and dogs to both for years, in fact, for many things I've had to because of what the base vets don't cover. In any case, if that is a problem, take your dog to an off post vet and just sign him in as a new patient and don't bother telling them he's registered on base. It's none of their business anyway ~ and unprofessional as well.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2010