I need someone to explain the rationale for me....

So, instead of watching shows with your kid and teaching the kid right from wrong using the show as a guide, lots of you moms just ban the show. What exactly did that teach your kid? Nothing. For instance, I see all these moms complain about SpongeBob. They never actually sit down and comment on how what he is doing is bad. The mom just bans the show. So, kid never learned any lesson. It's the same as over babyproofing your home and the kid is never told no a day in their lives. What do they learn?
I prefer to not ban anything and only babyproof the absolute dangerous stuff. For instance, if my son watched SpongeBob and SB did something inappropriate, I would have commented that what he did was wrong/not nice/a no-no...something. my son could then connect the two and deem his own actions as bad if he starts to do them. See? Stop banning and start using EVERYTHING as a teaching tool.

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 11:18 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Interesting question. It does seem to me that when we shelter our kids, we do them a disservice. Those of us "of a certain age" were allowed to do things that scraped our knees and broke our arms.. we learned to be more careful. THat's not to say we shouldn't put helmets on the kids! But we need to remember that there's a great big world out there and we cannot shelter them from everything. Indeed, that which is alien is all the more attractive.

About two years ago, I was on a trolley in San Diego, listening to a couple of college sophomores. One of them was telling the other about a friend who was now in college, and had been homeschooled. The gist of the story was that this third party had been sheltered all through high school, and once she went to college went crazy with drinking and sex. That which had been forbidden was more attractive.

"Just say no" isn't good enough. They've gotta know WHY to say no.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:26 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• To me, I don't want the exposure. I don't want them laughing when the cartoon acts inappropriately and to think that by acting that way, they get attention. When my children want to watch something, I never just tell them no- I tell them why. I do not need to sit down with them and explain to them why and where in the show they act that way, my children are not stupid... they know what I mean when I explain it to them the first time. It is my job as a parent to regulate the television. By me doing this, those that want to watch the show can- but just because it is on doesn't mean that I find it acceptable for my kids.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 11:22 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I agree with you.. My kids have Spongebob DVD and they watch Spongebob, but he does some CRAZYYYY things!! I just tell them that, "that was not a nice thing to do".. They haven't copied anything from the show, maybe because I tell them it's bad.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:20 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• some mommies just don't like hearing their babies cry and don't want to get off the couch to remove them from a bad situation..so they baby proof everything.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:22 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• bumpi agree with you !

shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 11:20 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• You can use real life teaching tools rather than a show that for some they consider offensive. I don't have an issue with people that ban shows because they don't like the content. After all, they are doing what they consider best for THEIR children and we all have different parenting styles. And for that I am extremely grateful, if we didn't - we'd all be raising the same child and the world would be BORING!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:01 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I guess the banning and not banning thing is really what balances the universe :) We have all sorts of people in the world. Some that were allowed to watch howard the duck at 6 and some that were not :) We ought to just let each other teach them how we want. Since child 1 was banned from watching SB maybe child one can teach child 2 who was allowed to watch it something new they didn't know. Or vice versa. Darling, it's all what makes the world turn ;)
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 11:21 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• same here, and my home is very decorated, and i refuse to move things for my babies! They learn not to touch!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:25 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Why expose your child to a a bad learned behavior to begin with?
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:49 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• i agree with you i mean us as kids were told a bunch of time no and explained y it was bad y are we not doing the same with our kids i know i will
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 11:23 AM on Aug. 24, 2010