Does my DH have to pay my Dr. bills if I die?

Do you know if I die? Does my DH have to pay my medical bills? They're my bills.A collection agency has been bothering us. I'm dealing with cancer. Most of these bills are paid. But some are bills from before. He lost his job almost 2 years ago. We have no more savings. We can't even afford needful things or bills. We have no where to turn to.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• If you are married I do believe he does sadly. BUT, most businesses will not go after the money.

I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through. :(
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:21 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My father died after a battle with cancer and my mother is still receiving, and responsible for, the bills for the services that were rendered for his care and treatment before his death.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 11:22 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• It depends in what State you live in. I believe you might be able to talk to an attorney or the court of something to separate these bills... Sort of like a prenup but different... It would be worth looking into... You might also want to make sure you are keeping track of your collectors... Certainly research it a bit because a lot of them break laws because people don't know the laws that they are breaking.... ie: there are a certain number of times they are allowed to call, there are things you can do to keep them off your back. Good luck to you and I wish you well :-*
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 11:24 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I don't have an answer, but here's a bump. I'm sorry you're going through this.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:26 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• It'll go to whomever is the beneficiary of the estate... and sadly, unlike what one person stated, businesses usually DO go after the money. They do not really care who pays or what the situation is- they want to be paid for the services provided, or they will lose their business. It seems cold hearted, but really... how could they afford to remain in business if they didn't?
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 11:26 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Get some help from a NON PROFIT consumer counseling agency. Credit.org is one; I've done a lot of work with them on stories about people dealing with the foreclosure crisis. They can help you understand what you need to know.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:28 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• If they are in your name only I don't think so. My DD was killed, I was called for her bills and told them they weren't mine, & I wasn't paying them. No more calls, nohing they could do. Sorry about your illness, I wish you well. I'm in Pa as far as the law.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:28 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Yes, unfortunately, he does.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Not unless he signed on them- and that does NOT vary from state to state. If he didn't sign anything saying he'd pay or help pay, then he's not liable for your bills and/or debt.

However YOUR estate is liable. Any assets you have, including joint assets that you have with him can be used to pay off YOUR debt. So a joint savings account would be split right down the middle (in most states) half goes to him, half goes to your medical bills. They can force the sale of a home and/or cars (depending on which state you live in) to help pay off debt. But if you guys have no joint assets, or if you personally don't have any assets, then they just aren't getting anything.

The thing with heirs or children or parents inheriting debt doesn't make sense. If you hated your kids wouldn't you just rack up a ton of debt so they'd have to pay it off when you died. Yeah, debt does not pass on unless they co-signed on it with continue:
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• OP I hope that things get better for you. Be strong :)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2010