How?

How can you possibly think that you should send your child to school without the things they need? I mean really? There is no excuse, you can start school shopping as soon as they get out of school to spread the money out, and same with clothes! This is nothing that anyone ahould feel bad for a person for, they did it to themselves!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in

• I must have missed something.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:26 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• yah, posters talking about how they are so sad they cant provide for their kids school needs, yet they only want help getting it free, why not prepare instead?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:28 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I think i missed something too.. but some people really do have a rough time with "back to school" shopping.. It's hard for some people. But what really bothers me is when you see kids that don't have what they need, but their parents have cigarettes and alcohol or ordered a pizza after the kids went to bed. . Kids should come first.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:28 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I understand where you are coming from. I buy the kids new lunch boxes, water bottles, backpacks, required gym clothes, etc. at the end of the school year so they'll be ready to go in the fall. School supplies for my daughter are ordered through the school in April for the following school year; all I have to do is write the check. The only things I really shop for might be something specific that my son's teacher might require and that we don't know about ahead of time (like a specific financial calculator for a math class) since the high schools don't put out a list of required supplies beforehand.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 11:29 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• exactly! I mean if you plan in advance yo wont have that problem!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Sometimes you can't really plan in advance. Some people literally live 'hand to mouth' and can barely make ends meet. It's not that they aren't hardworking or don't want to do right by their kids, it's just that they honestly don't have any extra cash. So many have lost jobs, lost homes, lost futures...lost so much and maybe they had to use what was put aside for school to pay for food & other necessities. Sure there are folks who don't plan well & maybe they could have, but in this economy there are so many more who probably did plan, but are in a financial bind they never expected to be in....folks who have hit bottom and need help and what do you do? You have to post about how horrible & stupid they are. How about giving them the benefit of the doubt instead of criticizing? Why not consider the best possible scenario instead of the worst? Y'know, glass half full?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:45 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Try not to sprain anything on your way down from that pedestal you're perched on up there. I'm all for shopping on sale and stocking up for later, but for people who've been laid off, it's hard to justify buying school supplies when you're scraping to pay the electric bill. Our PTO donated several thousand dollars in supplies each year for families who couldn't afford them before the recession started. Demand has doubled since then and I've already gotten 2 phone calls and a note home since school started last week asking for people to donate anything they can. I'd rather see voluntary donations to those in need than the socialized classroom system where everyone is REQUIRED to send 10 of everything to cover the kids who don't have it. Or would you rather that it be mandatory for you to "donate" instead of having the luxury of sneering at them as you walk past doing nothing?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:51 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• some ppl dont have any money at the end of the month to save to prepare. sue some ppl take advantage however when we help these ppl we are helping their KIDS get supplies, and maybe, just maybe, they will break their cycle.
    faerie75

Answer by faerie75 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I know there are plenty of people who are not able to plan in advance and sometimes emergencies happen that cause financial problems. I would never judge someone for not "planning ahead" without knowing their exact circumstances.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• At the high school level I have students who are the main breadwinners for their families. Last year I had two students whose parents died and they couldn't afford to get paper and pens/pencils. I've had students who live in cars. It's not always so simple and black and white - that's why teachers spend a lot of $$ on school supplies.
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 4:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2010