Are we as Americans who speak English?

I see a lot of people putting Hebrew and Greek in here. That's fine, but we don't speak it, we speak english, so what is wrong with us reading the Bible in English? I am sure most moms didn't take foreign lanuages such as these. I am sure God understands why we read the Bible in English. The King James Bible is even written in other lanuages so that the people over seas can understand Gods word. Do you find anything wrong with reading the Bible in English? Just answers, no sermons, no judging, no arguing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• No.... (Ditto with feesharose) I can't read any other language.... if is wasn't translated into English.... I couldn't read it. And I agree with bonn777.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:13 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Of course there is nothing wrong with reading the Bible in English. The reason you see so much Greek and Hebrew in this section is because that's what the English Bible(s) have been translated from. I'd wager a guess and say nobody in here is actually fluent in either language.....
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 8:33 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I agree with Duster mom. I think the same thing.
    Freda01

Answer by Freda01 at 8:45 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Could it be because so many of the words in the Greek and the Hebrew cannot be translated by just one word in the English? That means that the translators had to choose a word that they thought best conveyed the meaning from the original texts. Pastors and teachers do that all the time when trying to really explain what a passage is saying.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:59 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• The reason people give answers in Greek and Hebrew is because that was the original texts of the Bible. In order to get scripture completely in context you need to go back to using Hebrew and Greek...because English has mistakes and interprets the old language differently.

So read in English if that's what you know (like me) but realize to really get a good sense of what scripture is saying it's sometimes necessary to use the original text.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 10:20 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• The original Greek and Hebrew can't be directly translated into English for some words. Sometimes it is best in the original language.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:37 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• There is nothing wrong with reading the bible in english... however I do personally sometimes refer to the Complete Jewish Bible or search for the appropriate Hebrew or Greek word to find the most accurate translation or interpretation of that said word. When it came down to Hebrew words one word could have multiple meanings depending on the context however when put into an english or KJV bible we only got the one word.

bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 1:25 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I don't speak any other languages so I couldn't read the bible in anything other than english. I'm sorry, but I don't understand the relevance of the question. Did someone tell you that because it's in english it's not the true bible?
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:41 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• No, nobody told me I couldn't read it in English, but they seem to always add Hebrew words and Greek words, I just wonder why then did King James have the Bible written in Old English words, if it should of been in Greek or in Hebrew. I think that just about any word can be made to have several meanings. It is hard for me to understand all of the Greek and Hebrew stuff. Does anyone else have this kind of problem?
    Anonymous

• Thats the point...the Bible is translated...translations are imperfect.

There are many words in other languages that have no literal correlation to English words and ideas...and there are many translations of texts that (like the KJV) were sponsored for translation with a specific political motive and religious standpoint in mind.

Translations can be made (and have been found) to contain many errors and inconsistencies between original text and translation. It is often more accurate and more helpful--and in this day and age, fairly easy--to go back to the original texts to compare the original with several translations--not just the original and look at other possible meaning and interpretations of the text.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 8:51 PM on Oct. 9, 2008