My 2 1/2 yr old wont go to sleep independently!

Every night we have the same routine.. eat dinner, play or watch sprout then bathtime, read a book and go to bed.. heres the problem... I have to stay in the room till she falls asleep.. initially she would fall asleep in my bed so I switched it to her room in her bed so that she could get used to it.. I wasnt expecting to have to stay in there all this time.. I just wanted to do it that way initially to get her used to falling asleep in her own bed.. Now.. every night I have to stay in there and wait for her to drift off to sleep.. I want to be able to just walk out.. but if I do she gets right up screaming down the hall or just keeps coming back into my room.. I need to cut the cord and get her to go to sleep independtly.. by herself without me sitting in there.. any suggestions?

Vonirae2

Asked by Vonirae2 at 8:05 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tell her that you will read her a story in bed, but htat you have to leave after words. Then tell her goodnight and leave. When she gets up the first time, put her back in her bed, tell her its bedtime and leave. Everytime after that she gets up after that, just put her back in her bed. Eventually she will give in. You may have a few nights of torture, but eventually she will get the idea.
    We had a problem with my daughter about getting up too, we did this and after a few nights, she went to bed and stayed there. Just be consistent. She may cry, but be consistent....
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 9:33 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I agree with KEHMom, that's why my 26 month old is still in her crib. i don't want her walking around at night by herself. some nights she screams herself to sleep, but it only lasts about 10-15 mins. just be consistent, it works.
    queentokemi

Answer by queentokemi at 11:55 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• i would just try nap time starting out...if she takes naps. i know you aren't there at daycare, but i would try to establish a routine for naptime on the weekends, and hope that carries over at nighttime. if nate (who you know is clingy) is tired, often i'll put him in the bed, and put the tv on quietly, and tell him to go to sleep and he will...other times, i just tell him to go, and check on him in 10-15 minutes. at the old house, i had a couple of those baby shows recorded with the classical music, and i would put that on, and let him watch that, and let that kind of bore/soothe him to sleep. it worked for him, and you know he and alanna are personality twins.
    jusjream

Answer by jusjream at 7:15 PM on Oct. 9, 2008