HPV

So I found out I have HPV and so does my husband. We've been practicing "safe sex" ever since we found out. No one knows who got it from who and nor at this point does it matter. We're going to start ttc and I wonder if that will affect anything. My doctor said it wouldn't but I've never saw any "warts" on myself, just always tested positive, while a friend of mine did and had to get them removed.....I just don't want to get the warts but while ttc won't we both just be passing it back and forth like a cold???? My husband had the warts and had to go get them frozen off. Not fun.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• Well; I myself do not have them; however my best friend does. She contracted them after the birth of her two daughters; and I know that if there is a chance of a breakout; they will automatically do a c-section. She had a son after being diagnosed; but she was able to have him naturally as she was checked to be sure there was not a breakout.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• It does not affect a pregnancy so I've heard. I have never heard of anyone having warts with it though. It is not like you guys would be passing it back and forth, you both would have it even though it sounds like you do already. You might have your husband checked out though because warts are linked with other STD's.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• If you test postive for HPV - but no symptoms like warts (which are associated with low risk HPV) then your doctor should continue to keep monitoring you. Unless your pap shows it is getting worse - then a colposcopy should be performed to see how much worse.
    As for TTC - HPV itself is a virus and does not interfere. I have (high risk) HPV and had a LEEP procedure 2 years ago. I am now pregnant with my 4th child.
    Your husband should be monitored to see if the warts are recurring. Obviously when he has an outbreak - you guys should refrain from having sex. But your dr and his should give you more information on that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I have HPV and i would not worry about having "safe sex" , you have the disease and its not going anywhere. I have HPV but not that kind that causes warts, i have the kind that causes cervical dysplasia. I was worried that my husband and i were going to pass it back and forth, but the doc said thats not going to happen and once i had my surgery i havent had any abnormal cells in over a year. If you are trying to conceive then go for it, just make sure that you keep in check with the warts and sometimes (depending where the warts are) its safe to remove them during pregnancy. I know of one other person that has warts and they had to have a c-section because of where the warts were and they thought it may pass on to the baby...
    fcangel9

Answer by fcangel9 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• What's the differences between HPV and warts?

I asked my doctor is I had HPV after reading COSMO - He said no

Are genital warts HPV

Are there different types of HPV? What are they caused from?

But my friend confided in me that she had herpes (only had 2 sex partners in her life)
    Anonymous

• Herpes is VERY different. Different Virus. HPV has many strains. Some cause warts, other strains cause cancer in women. High risk (as they call it), cause cancer, low risk, cause the warts. I have both but never ever broke out in any warts. The body;s own defenses can kill it off and thats why the doctors usually tell you to use condoms to lessen the chances of getting it back once it dies off. I've tested negative, then had unprotected sex with my husband and I was testing positive again. You give it back and forth if one still has it. Its better to use condoms no matter what unles you are ttc and under your doctor's care. I'd google it for more information on hpv, but it is the most common virus and most people have already gotten it and it went away on it own and you'd never know (unless you had any warts).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• The warts you can get removed, and quite often the other strains die off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Oct. 14, 2008