I don't know where the original question went, so I'll ask it again.

What are your thoughts on the overweight woman that was charged extra for being over the weight limit for the nail salon chairs? I will provide a link when I find it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Truthfully, there are weight limits on the chairs for safety reasons. If you cannot safely receive the services, then they cannot provide them to you- I'm not certain how paying more means the chair is safer... I do not believe that it is the companies responsibility to provide seating for over weight people, unless they want to.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 11:47 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I'll give the same response that I gave on the original post about this...

And I'm curious as to how they knew she was over the 200 lb weight limit. Did they weigh her? Some people weigh something entirely different than what they look like they weigh. Secondly, why do they have to charge $5 every time someone uses the chair? In't the price of the chair paid off by now? Give me a break. $5 more to sit in a chair?! If she' paying for the services, it's only normal to think that you'll be accommodated while receiving the services. I'm not overweight, but I certainly wouldn't be going there...I'd be afraid I'd be hit with unknown charges for God knows what. Who knows? I have long hair. Maybe they'd charge me because they had to use a different brush or something, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:49 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• LovingSAHMommy: If you saw her picture, you could tell she was over 200 lbs. I was over 300 lbs and I didn't look as heavy.

All of you are saying that if it had been you, you wouldn't have let her in your chair either. HOWEVER, she got her mani/pedi done and then she was given the extra surcharge. If they were worried about her sitting in the chair, they should have told her no in the first place. Not performed the service and then charged her extra.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Well as an overweight person I would he highly offended and would make a big stink about it in the local paper..thats not right..some ppl have health reasons for why they are overweight..not everyone can be a skinny minnie or look anerexic...maybe if the salons were required to install higher weight limit chairs from the get go then there wouldnt be a problem..i dunno i would be really hurt if my hairdresser did that to me...some ppl are so inconsiderate and rude
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 11:53 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• She should find a new nail salon.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:47 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I read that yesterday. I would think it was illegal in the first place. You can't just up and add a surcharge to something without being upfront to your customers about it. The owner was wrong. She gave the $5 back to the customer, but still. I'd be pissed too. I don't know if I'd raise a stink about it all over the media, but I'd probably be telling friends and family not to associate with her business anymore.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• This isnt an airline...its not like if she wasn't sitting there they could make more money by charging some one else? They also should have explained to her upfront or denied her service at all. Charging extra makes NO sense. With that said, it is not a business owner's responsibility to cater to a person who is overweight but 200 pounds is not a very high weight limit at all? I hit that when I was pregnant.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• http://www.cafemom.com/answers/500676/Did_you_hear_about_the_woman_who_was_charged_for_being_overweight
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 11:46 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Oh, and to answer the question - again....

They should have warned her about the surcharge beforehand, or at least had it posted, but I don't disagree with her being charged an additional $5. She's well over the weight limit, and the salon owner shouldn't have to deal with extra wear-and-tear on her equipment just to keep from hurting this woman's feelings.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:53 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Well that was my question and after it got 8 pages long I picked a best answer because the debate got off topic around page 8. :) You and other people can feel free to check out my closed question. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:53 AM on Aug. 24, 2010