Want to choose your caregiver based on race? Too bad!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100823/ap_on_he_me/us_patient_prejudice

Thoughts?

Personally, I find it outrageous that anyone ever thought the patient's rights included this...

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 12:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow, I never knew that bigotry could kill. I wonder if the woman had died if the family would have blamed the AA aid for not helping? Somehow, I think they would. So in other words, the elderly woman in this case would rather die than to be helped by another human with a different color of skin? Hmmm, yep. Bigotry can kill.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• This was done in a time where this was the norm... really, if people knew their history it wouldn't be a shock. I am glad to see that it has been taken care of. :-)
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Crazy that bigoted whims would have ever been accommodated.  Good to see it's being fixed.

SavageJane

Answer by SavageJane at 12:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• DusterMommy

Comment by DusterMommy (original poster) at 12:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Wow. But like historymama said, these people are from a different generation with different views on race and such. Not that its right or anything but that was their lifestyle back then. You would think though in a life or death situation, the last thing you'd think about is the color of the person's skin that is trying to help you. Absolutely ridiculous.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I read this article this morning. I've been in nursing homes and have seen patients with this mentality. As a caregiver I would welcome the "out" to not have to take care of people who have this closed mind set. I do think it's crazy that a patient's rights were ever thought to include picking what staff could work with them. My thought, if you don't like the staff move to a different facility.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I agree with HistoryMama. Well said.
    momentofpeace

Answer by momentofpeace at 12:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• WEll don't they ask you if you want a man or a woman too? I wanted a woman but there weren't any taking new patience so I got a man. I love my doctor though! He's awsome!
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I understand it in a way especially with this generation of elders coming from a time we never saw. When their mind starts going they think it's the 30's all over again. My grandmother was very racist. My little brother would ask me about my "black" boyfriend at the dinner table just to get her riled up. I think she would've been okay with an black nurse though. This generation will soon pass though and we may not have to run into this as much in the coming years.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Gin, I think the man vs. woman choice is at least valid. That's a privacy issue.
    DusterMommy

Comment by DusterMommy (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2010