WTF am I supposed to do?!?!

I work for a small HVAC-R company. If you know about refrigerants, you know that you cannot just let it leak into the air. It's a 25k fine if you do and it's REALLY bad for the o-zone. My boss has always been on me about making sure the techs have it reclaimed correctly. MY BOSS has been just letting it off into the air out back so that he doesn't have to pay for the reclaim on it. This has REALLY ticked me off and i'm not sure what to do. I'm not going to turn him in because it'll cost me my job, but should I say something to him, or just keep my nose out of it??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• YOU NEED TO REPORT IT! You can report annonymously
    jamiesuev22

Answer by jamiesuev22 at 12:06 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• That sounds like a pretty big deal. Can you report it anonymously?  I don't think I would keep it to myself.  Good luck!

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:07 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Bad bad bad boss, i know what your taking about and when he does get caught he will get a huge fine and possibly loose his contractors license!!! You know you can call the city and be anonymous ;)... or the contractors license board..
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Saying something to him probably isn't going to help. I would definitely look into reporting it anon.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• You need to report it and you need to report it now. Not only is it bad for the environment, but it could be having health effects on you and the other employees.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• It won't cost you your job if you report it to the proper people. You NEED to report it.
    Man up and do what's right.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:21 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• If you report it and he gets a fine for $25K will the business survive? May be enough to put him under..Can you just play dumb and say "Oh your hose came undone" I ve no idea how the machine works..but can you say soemthing so he knows you noticed it. Im also a fan of humor..like "Jack you arent going to pollute the earth over $20 reclaim fee are you!?! lol" Only problem is if you say something in passing and he doesnt fix it then it would be hard to report him without him suspecting you..you are in a tough spot!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I would report it anonymously. That is VERY dangerous for the environment and everyone around.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Sounds like everyone is giving you good advice. I would also discreetly start looking for another job in case h has to close down. What a tough spot to be in, I am sorry that you are there.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:50 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Before I had kids things like this weren't so black and white, but now I know I am an example to them. So what would you tell your son or daughter to do in this situation? Or how would you want them to know their mother acted? The right thing isn't always the easy thing but it still needs to be done. Of course, report it anonymously. Or, tell your boss that you heard inspections are being done or surpirise visits or something like that and maybe that would scare him straight. But you can't just stand by and let this continue when you know it's wrong. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2010